New 125 gal reef ready setup need help

David Collins

Recently picked up a 125 reef ready tank with two overflows, a big wet/dry filter, a protein skimmer, and some type of filter. It also came with a few pumps. I need help plumbing everything together. I was thinking about running the wet/dry filter one the left overflow, and making a sump tank for the right side with the protein skimmer in it. I am completely lost on how this filter works. I will upload pics so you can see. I need to know what I will need to plumb it, and where all the pumps need to be placed. If anybody could help me in any way I'd appreciate it

lmforbis

I have the same size tank. I use a sump instead of a wet dry. I have 1" pvc that goes from the overflow to the sump. Have a ball valve between the tank and the sump so I can turn it off if necessary. I have a single 1500 GPH return pump going up to a T so the water returns to both return pipes. I also have a shut off on each return in case. I need to adjust the flow. I'll post a pic in a few minutes

streamer

congratulations on the tank, I have a 125 gal fowlr w/55 gal sump, 3 chamber ...I only have a single overflow, I too used 1" PVC into the sump with my Reef Octopus skimmer and then I have a refuge and my return pump.. I also used ball and gates valves on all of the lines.. if there is anything that I would have done differently, I would have use 45 degree instead of 90 degree elbows. You will get better flow..I also used a check valve on my return pump...great investment and an insurance that nothing will flood...this is a learning process..good luck..

lmforbis

This is what one side looks like the other is essentially the same. I agree with streamer on the 45s. If I ever re plumb it I will use 2 45 instead of one 90.

IMG_2649.JPG

streamer

wow, if I could make a suggestion, if possible I would get rid of that piece of flex pipe... it will cause you grief in the future...

streamer

bad bacteria... it can cause issues with your water quality ... I think that it has something to do with the ribs and I don't think its safe for portable water...

lmforbis

The tubing I used claims to be drinking water safe and has no ribs. Frankly I was disappointed in its lack of flexibility. I have uses spa tubing in the past and that was more flexible than this stuff. I do have plans to use PVC m the future when I get a new return pump I also want to use gate valves on the return line so I can better control the flow. The ball valves are a pain to use.

streamer

good, I am on another site and there are members that have used it and ended up with a lot of issues in their tanks, personally I have never used it..all of my plumbing is pvc and I hear what your saying about the valves, I only use Spears valves, they are a little more money but they don't seize up

geridoc

congratulations on the tank, I have a 125 gal fowlr w/55 gal sump, 3 chamber ...I only have a single overflow, I too used 1" PVC into the sump with my Reef Octopus skimmer and then I have a refuge and my return pump.. I also used ball and gates valves on all of the lines.. if there is anything that I would have done differently, I would have use 45 degree instead of 90 degree elbows. You will get better flow..I also used a check valve on my return pump...great investment and an insurance that nothing will flood...this is a learning process..good luck..
Do not rely on check valves to prevent flooding - what they really do is guarantee flooding eventually when they stick. Instead, be sure you have siphon breaks shallowly placed so that the volume of back flow can be accommodated by the sump/wet-dry.