New 125 gal setup pics

reef fool

Well, the time has finally come. Here are the before water pics. This should probably be in the DIY section. Sorry mods.

eng50

What kind of returns are those in the tank, never seen a standpipe design like that! Are they adjustable (height)? aand what is on the top of them, just a hole, or some type of grating?
Thanks, looks great, would like to do something like that in the future!! Keep up the great work!
Bill

richard rendos

is that one of the new jetstream aquariums from marineland? let me know how you like it once it is up and running. i am very curious about this design.

reef fool

Yes, it is the Jetstream Aquarium. It was a little tough to get adjusted in the beginning, (stop the gurgling) but it has been good now for 48 hours w/o being re-adjusted. The key is a consistent return pump. I used the Rainbow Lifeguard "Quiet One".

hairtrigger

Wow. That is really interesting. I havent seen that kind of setup before. Was it complicated to get put together, or was it pretty easy? I like the look of it. I cant wait to see what it's like with some stock in there.

eng50

Ahh maybe I missed that at first, are two of the stanpipes returns and two overflows? Will have to do some research on that tank!!
Bill

reef fool

Originally posted by eng50
Ahh maybe I missed that at first, are two of the stanpipes returns and two overflows? Will have to do some research on that tank!!
Bill

the 2 center tubes are returns and the 2 others are skimmers. The skimmers skim the top(when adjusted properly) and they also draw from 10" down through a strainer.

reef fool

Here are the specs:
125 gallon Perfecto w/ Marineland Jetstream return/skimmer system
E.T.S.S. Super Reef Devil Skimmer w/ 30 Gal sump
Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One return pump
20 gal. refugium bulkheaded direct to sump
2 - 300 watt titanium heaters(one in sump-one in refugium)

reef fool

Moved everything from my 46 bow plus 100 lbs extra LR and 80 lbs extra LS. LR and LS came from an established reef system as well as 80 gallons of the water.

jstrong

reef fool, can you post a pic of your hood opened and closed?? i am trying to design my own. it looks like your opens from the top. i think i will go that route. thanks

seaham358

Looks good.. Ed said you cleaned him out of the LR.. He got some new fish in today. I picked up a Naso Tang. How is the RO/DI unit going? Is their a lot of waste water. Keep the pics coming. Looks good.

reef fool

Originally posted by seaham358
How is the RO/DI unit going? Is their a lot of waste water.

Seaham,
The ro/di seems to be doing good. As far as the amount of waste, I couldn't say for sure. They say that you generally get 20 gallons out of 100 on average. the water is good though. I also have a very good water softening unit hooked up before the ro/di. I hooked up my Liter Meter directly to my water barrel in the basement. Sweet. No more jugs to the LFS and no manual top off!

seaham358

reef fool,
I might be way off base or even out of the park. I was looking at your refuge and it is lower then the sump and is hooked to the sump. When you loose power or shut off the pump and the water level raises isn't the water going to over flow the fuge? I know when my pump is off the water level raises to about 2" from the top of the sump. Maybe I'm missing something.

beefcake

Reef Fool. I like the way your rock has built in caves. Did you have to use glue to make it stay togother ?

reef fool

Originally posted by Beefcake
Reef Fool. I like the way your rock has built in caves. Did you have to use glue to make it stay togother ?

No glue at all. I picked alot of Marshall Island rock as well as Elk horn rock. I put Figi on the bottom for a big round base. the Elk Horn is really nice. Each Piece has dozens of holes in it and each one has a feather duster type worm in it. Not just the avg. tube worm. The whole wall of rock is really stable.

reef fool

Originally posted by seaham358
reef fool,
I might be way off base or even out of the park. I was looking at your refuge and it is lower then the sump and is hooked to the sump. When you loose power or shut off the pump and the water level raises isn't the water going to over flow the fuge? I know when my pump is off the water level raises to about 2" from the top of the sump. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seaham,
I tested this several times and my sump comes nowhere near the top when the return pump shuts off. We bulkheaded the sump directly to the Refugium and added a strainer in the sump. Works great!