New 125 setup.

norm

I am setting up a new 125 gal system. I would love to have a lion fish volitan, yellow tang, honycomb eel, clown trigger and a finally a puffer. What do you guys think?
I already have the lion fish in a smaller tank that he is out growing fast. I also have a small tank in my reef setup that I want to move to the 125 becouse I hear they love space to swim in.
Those are all the fish I eventually plan to have would like to know the order add them. off course the the lion and tang are going in initially after I cycle the tank.
Also how many damsels do I need to cycle this tank, planning on removing them once it is cycled.
This is going to be an agressive fish only setup. I dont plan on have live rock our live sand. I do have 150 pounds of sand.
Any comments our suggestions are aprechiated.

jester

Do not cycle with damsels. Pick up 2-3 pices of raw shrimp at your local grocery store. Drop them in the tank for 3-6 days then take them out. The amonnia will be sky high then start to drop. just test water after this and wait for the cycle to complete. This is a faser and better way to cycle a tank.
Should'nt have a prob with the fish you want.

fshhub

can't help with the eel, but i would also reccomend using a couple of grociery shrimp(i'd say 3 or 4 large shrimp) too instead of damsels, especially wiht the lion, which brings me ot the next thing, i would also check on the species of puffer, some of them can be fiety little fin nippers, not sure if they would go after the lions, but i would check into that before i decide which puffer to add
HTH and good luck

fshhub

in short,
is a nipper, can get 40 inches and should be in at least a 150,
but as i said, i do not know for sure if they would bother alions fins
HTH

i hav a 150 with
clowntrigger
undulated
huma
niger
big tomato clown
snow flake eel
blacklionfish
and all is good i used damsels to cycle but than i added the huma and you know the rest

norm

Yea I think I will use the damsels just becouse I got some play sand from homedepot and I am not sure if it is safe. It said in the bag that it was sanitized by fire our something to that effect. I just don't want to drop my lion fish and watch him die becouse of something in the sand.. Also I am thinking of actually getting a zebra eel instead of the honeycomb. I posted a question about using PVC for an eel did not get many responses. The question was if anyone has tried to bury the pvc into the sand with two 45 degree elbows sticking out. I thought it was a good idea but don't know if its bad to do this? In this way most of the PVC is under the sand and all you see is the two ends sticking out that can be covered with alittle rock make it look like a cave. ;)

norm

No it was not southdown they did not have that brand. The sand just said play sand it had a good color to it and the size looked similar to what I have purchased at the LFS. I will check when I get home to find out if it is 1" or 3/4". On the PVC question won't the eel clean it out by going in and out?

well if you get pvc it will be a while before the eel will use it , but i would say no if you get triggers the pvs will get covered by the sand try or the eel will do the same mine shackup sand alot so i would say it is better to just put it on top of the sand , you can use the coral to hide it some , about the damsels yes they can be aggressive but if you hav aggressive fish after a while your damsels will be gone my damsels were gone short after the huma huma was in with them he did the sneek attack