new 125

ok i got my 125 up and running i have about 65 lbs of live sand i know i need more. Ihave 2whiser 5 and an emperor 330 on right now for filtration. i was woundering hen i sould add my live rock and whe i should turn on my protien skimmer. I used all of the water from my 55 and most of the sand as well will this help th cycle go faster i have a green chromis and a occ. clown and a damseldont kno the name of it it is black on from half and a light light tanish color on back half if ya knowwhat he might be let me know... i am gonna cycle te tank with thse but tank temp lil low tryin to get it to about 78

S

sebae0

i would add the live rock as soon as possible to it thru the cycle and i would wait until its thru cycling to turn on the skimmer imo.

softsak1

dude I cant believe you only have 65lbs of live sand in a 125g, with fish ontop of that! First thing you need to do is add another 65 lbs of sand minimum, you need at the very minimum a 4" live sand bed in order to even start growing the proper bacteria to convert your nitrates (WASTE) into nitrogen.
The bacteria only starts to grow when there is no oxygen in the sand, and this doesnt start until the 4" mard.
Now after you add min 65lbs sand, I would add another 100lbs of live sand ontop of what you have already. then you can buy say 100 to 150 lbs of Live rock and place that. turn on your protein skimmer and sit back and let the tank CYCLE, be very patient cause it will take probably about a month.
Hope this helps.