New 125G setup..opinions

fish_guy5

Would like some opinions on my new 125G that I'll be setting up in about a month. I've currently got a 40G FOWLR that I've had going for about 7 months.
Plan:
-FOWLR to begin with (will also have some cleaners snails, hermits…..and a couple of the hardier anemones if possible(depends on the lighting requirements)
-125G 72” x 18” x 24”(or very close to those measurements)
-175G volume rated Aquarium Pharmaceuticals canister filter
-Aragonite for substrate (about 2” deep)
-Skimmer (any recommendations?) *Would like some recommendations for a skimmer, as I currently have a 100G rated Priszm skimmer, but have heard varying opinions on the effectiveness of the Priszm's.
-2 – 36” twin tube fluorescent(each with 1 actinic tube). I may go reef once I’ve got a little more experience, and at that point I would upgrade the lighting to PC or MH.
-125 Lbs Figi live rock
-Powerhead(s) to stimulate water flow
-30G sump
I would like to set up a single chamber sump just to be able to run the equipment out of and maybe put a few mangroves in. An overflow from the tank flowing to the sump, and just have the water returned using the spray bar on the filter. Also want to run the skimmer out of there. I would just prefer that then having it all hanging off of the tank.
Any suggestions, opinions? I’m open to them……I’ve just got this rough idea for a setup by doing some reading and talking to a few people. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination….especially when it comes to the sump. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scotts

Don't know if this helps but here is my thread when I moved my 60 into my 125. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...hreadid=153073
The main reason I showed this to you is that you can take your old tank and put it under your new tank to act as your sump. Save some money so you don't have to buy a sump. The pump is not problem to hook up and I can take a picture of it for you if you would like. Easier than me trying how I did it.
HTH
Scott

fish_guy5

thanks for the info scotts. thats a nice setup you've got there. Using the old tank is a good idea. I was going to use it as a QT, but maybe I'll just buy a 20G and use that for the QT.

kdfrosty

I am curious how you will use the canister filter (rated at 175pgh) ast the return from the sump. The intake will obviously be in the sump, and the spray bar will go inside the tank. What type of overflow do you plan on using, and what is it's gph rating?

fish_guy5

First off, the filter is suitable for a 175G aquarium(volume).....the flow rate is 350 GPH.
Now, after talking to a few people here was the idea I had.(And I could be way off base, so someone please let me know if I am....I could easily be missing something not having done this before)
I may also not use the exact correct term for something, so I apologize if I do.
-Start with a hole cut near the top of the glass about 5 inches(for example) from the top of the aquarium.
-Have a hose attached and running from the hole to the sump
-Start with approx 20G of water in the sump(assuming its a 40G sump)
-Fill the aquarium approximately 2 inches above the bottom of the overflow hole(which will cause about another 10-12G to to flow into the sump)
-Have the intake for the filter in the sump and run the water return from the filter to the aquarium
-This will allow for water to keep flowing to the sump, but only as water is returned to the tank. And if the power were to go out, the sump would not have more than the 30G in it once the tank level has fallen below the overflow.
This sounds like it should work....but I dont know if its effective...or if there is something I am overlooking.

scotts

Sorry if I am missing something here so let me sound like an idiot. The main thing I am confused about is the return water and the location of your sump. First off where is the location of your sump? If your sump is on the same level as you tank, or slightly lower this might work. However if you are planning on having your sump like mine below the tank yout filter might not work. Now I will admit that I do not know the particular filter that you are talking about, but most filters are just for taking the water out of the tank and returning the water, so there is no pressure. However if your sump is lower than your tank the return line will have a certain amount of pressure. The bigger the height difference between the sump and the tank the higher the pressure. Most filters are designed to operate with very little pressure.
Have I confused you enough?
Scott

fish_guy5

The filter that I have was demonstrated for me at my LFS. The setup they used had the filter under the tank, and had the spray bar up in the tank and the water was still being returned okay. I still may be better off using a separate pump for the return from the sump to the tank. This was just an idea I was toying with. Thats why I'm asking for the opinions. Its also harder to comprehend without knowing the actual filter being used. Hope I havent confused you too much!

scotts

Well shut my mouth! I told you I was an idiot. Should have checked out those filters first. They look pretty slick. I have never seen a cannister filter like that before. At least according to the spec sheet you don't need a pump with that. The one thing about the spec sheet is how much there is at the max head of the pump. But if you put in powerheads for water flow in your main tank I think you should be good. But then we have already established that I am an idiot. :D
Scott