new 150 gal

tf

I have a 75 gal FO and want to build a half wall in my living room with a 150 gal. tank built into the wall. I have a couple of questions. feel free to answer any part or all the questions.
1. Will the tank be too heavy to extend into the middle of the room on the upstairs living room? I have a great room on the main floor and I want to put the tank so it divides the kitchen area from the front room area. How do I tell it will hold the weight?
2. I have an undergravel filter with 3 power heads on the 75 with a fluvol 404 and a cyclone skimmer. Do I keep the undergravel filter set up in the 150 gal?
3. Can I just transfer all the fish into the new tank? or do I have to restart the new tank? I want to transfer all the coral, rocks and water in to the new tank. Can I without killing all the fish?
Please help.
TF

goldfish

TF,
I can only answer one of the questions and it may not be a complete answer. Before you start moving tanks around and need to know if your walls will hold a tank, you should really check with a professional. We could say "yeah it will hold it" then suddenly you would be swimming with your fish. Check with a carpeter or a contractor who knows his/her stuff and THEN decide whether or not to put it into the wall. I know that tanks full of water become extremely heavy and you need to have major support in order to hold it. Good luck!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
TF: I think your questions will get the best attention in our Equiptment Forum, rather than in the Disease Forum, so I am moving it over for you.
I think Mr. Salty will enjoy working with you on this project!
:D
[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

mr . salty

As far as the weight goes,remember that the general rule is that a tank,fylly setup with rock and all,will weigh about 10lbs per gallon.So that's 1500lbs for your tank.Now consider that all that weight is spread over a 6x2 foot area on your floor.Unless there is a load bearing wall directly under this tank,YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS...Also,I would ditch the UGF compleatly in the new tank...Go for a deep sand bed instead.After all,This is an upgrade isnt it?? So why not go with a BETTER setup...If you use 10-25% live sand mixed with a good reef sand,and all the rock from the old setup the new tank should not recycle.If it does it will be a very quick one.If at all possibe you should leave the old tank setup while the new one is settling down.....

TF- I would lose the UGF if I were you, they just aren't a good solution when compared with the benefits of LR/LS. Besides, with such a large tank, you will be pleasantly surprised with the appeal of a natural looking environment. Also, definitely call a carpenter/contractor to check your wall strength to see if it can hold such a large amount of weight. last thing, you will definitely want to wait before transfering all your livestock to make sure that your tank has fully cycled and you should also acclimate them to the new tank the same way that you would after bringing them home from the LFS. Anyways, good luck, I hope we get to see pictures soon.
edit: looks like me and salty were thinking along the same lines at the same time.
[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: MattAtkinson ]

tf

Thank you for the comments. I will talk to a carpenter and see if he thinks it will work and let you know. If I use live sand instead of the coral and the live rock I already have in the 75 how long before I can transfer the fish? Do I need a different filtration other than 2 fluvol 404 and 2 cyclone skimmers? One set at each end of the tank. Can I use the water in the 75 to help the cycle process? Can I use some of the coral to help the cycle process and use sand on top? Where do I buy the live sand?
TF

mr . salty

Live sand can be bought right here at swfish.com...But you dont need all live sand,just about 25% live.The rest can be just regular(dry) reef sand.For this tank you will need at least 40lbs of LIVE,and probably the samd(40lbs) of dry sand..You should NOT use any of the CC in the new setup.But if you put some in a cut off foot from a pair of pantyhose,you can then place it in the new tank for a few weeks to help get the bio system going.Then just pull the whole thing out and toss it..As for the water,,,Very little,if NO bacteria actually live in the water.So you would be better off using NEW water...But with a good sand bed(as stated above) plus the rock from the old tank,and the CC foot.The tank MAY NOT cycle at all....But just as a precaution,I would let it sit with maybe one or two fish in it for at least a week (checking the ammo,and nitrItes daily)too make sure it is safe for the corals....The filteration you are talking about will probably work,but just barly in my opinion. You WILL at least need a couple big powerheads to place in the back corners of this new setup for water circulation...

tf

Hi ya'll,
I checked on the wall cituation with a carpenter and a structural engineer. all was ok with them so I am pressing forward!! I will build a 10' wall in the middle of the great room in our home. You will be able to look right through. The wall will be 2' wide with a tank that is 72"x18"x23" - 125 gal. in the middle of it. I need to know if 2 fluvol 404's is over kill or should I get a 204 or 304 or some other filter system. I have access to a great connection for supplies. I think I can get some filters at wholesale or better. I have a seaclone that works great. Do I need another skimmer? I have 3 power heads. I have 25 lbs lr. and will get some ls.(80 lbs.)- Do I just pour the sand into the tank and add the new salt water or do I use some of the old water from the 75? do I need anything else? How long should I wait to transfer the fish? If I am using the equipment from one tank to the other.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
TF