New 150 gallon

plumber

Hi, Need some advice set up a new tank a few weeks ago 150 gallon with a mega flow wet dry sized for tank. Tank cycled as usual have approx 100lbs of live rock and 160 lbs of sand. I am currently running metal halides 2 x 175 watts 14000k + compact mix 4 x 65 watts I think. I have no fish at this point , only a few corals. I have about 15 various snails and 5 hermit crabs. Now to my problem I am fighting a algage war reddish /brownish colored seems to attract bubbles. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks John

A

arlene1995

The algae is Cyanobacteria and probably diatoms. It's just part of the cycle. All it is doing is since your tank isn't fully cycled, it is just processing waste. It should disappear once the biological filter is fully established. You can help it along with the Live Rock, Live Sand, and if you have an existing tank, taking a handful of sand and some rock from it will help as well. I had it in my 125, too. Then, after roughly 2 months since I had set the tank up, it disappeared within 3 days. I've never had it since. Hope this helps!