New 180 agressive setup need help

juddster

Thanks in advance for all your input. I have always had reef tanks, now i want to set up a 180 agressive FOWLR tank. Whats the best filter for such a system? how many power heads should i use? should i use a skimmer? How many nice sized fish can i keep? Can i keep a shark in a tank that size or should i go a little larger? Thanks!

jr2857

you should get a skimmer,wet/dry and sump (i think) for fish get triggers puffers eels large angelfish. tangs maybe??? no sharks or rays though. need a bigger tank for them.

djevack

Originally Posted by Juddster
Thanks in advance for all your input. I have always had reef tanks, now i want to set up a 180 agressive FOWLR tank. Whats the best filter for such a system? how many power heads should i use? should i use a skimmer? How many nice sized fish can i keep? Can i keep a shark in a tank that size or should i go a little larger? Thanks!
Def. Not a shark, not big enough.
I just went from a 150g reef to aggressive, heres what I did.
ASM g3 skimmer, Red sea Ozone, 2 tunze 6060, 29g fuge, and a fluval 304 with chem-pure
with the two tunze 6060, and a return pump you get about 20-25x movement. With agood skimmer it helps keep the water very clean. I went with the Tunzes over powerheads because you only need 2, not 4 or 5 or even 6 powerheads. Plus they current is spread over a large area, at 4' from the PH the stream is at 2' diameter. My whole tank moves with these two powerheads. highly recommend.
you can keep 5-10 fish depending on what fish you go with. Im still new to aggressive. I would post what fish you want and get help from there.

reeftank27

thats not true, you can have a stingray and a shark in a 180 but as for the shark you will need to up grade your tank and with a stingray you should be fine its entire life.

djevack

Originally Posted by reeftank27
thats not true, you can have a stingray and a shark in a 180 but as for the shark you will need to up grade your tank and with a stingray you should be fine its entire life.

you can keep any fish in a 29g too, but will need to upgrade later. I was talking about the long term in a 180g.

5280_humu

To give my opinoin on the shark debate . A lot of people will just snap out the answer "thats too small".Even a few people that have NEVER kept a shark of any kind. They answer this question trying to use a formula where they use gallonage as the determening factor to base an answer on . There are many more factors to think about when determening the inhabitants of a tank. Such as demensions of the tank. For instance class cages sell's a 180 Gal. Tall 72 x 18 x 31 and 180 Gal. Wide 72 x 24 x 25 same over all gallons but a different foot print there for making a completely diferent situation. 6" is a lot when your talking about adding that width the whole length of the tank . A lot of EDUCATED people will also tell you that The smaller sharks need to have X amount of inches width to the tank saying that The shark needs turning room This is some what true but very over stated. Anybody that has watched these sharks can tell you they are extremly manuverable. Sometime they will go in to a small cave turn around and come back out . Spieces such as smooth hounds DO need turning room . They are not compatable with smaller tanks.
The next important factor has to deal with tank mates. The more bottom dwellers you add the larger the foot print needs to be . You don't want to "CROWD" the tank floor with sharks ,rays or eels . But a few swimmers of a resonable size are ok as long as you don't over load the filtration system. when selecting the inhabitant you must take in to concideration the adult size of ALL fish. Sure theres room for a bunch of juvinal fish but they will grow.
The best way to pick a fish is to decide what YOU can handle as far as a tank size, filtration and feeding and then see what is compatable to what you can afford/handle.

Let the flaming begin.

crimzy

Originally Posted by 5280_humu
To give my opinoin on the shark debate . A lot of people will just snap out the answer "thats too small".Even a few people that have NEVER kept a shark of any kind. They answer this question trying to use a formula where they use gallonage as the determening factor to base an answer on . There are many more factors to think about when determening the inhabitants of a tank. Such as demensions of the tank. For instance class cages sell's a 180 Gal. Tall 72 x 18 x 31 and 180 Gal. Wide 72 x 24 x 25 same over all gallons but a different foot print there for making a completely diferent situation. 6" is a lot when your talking about adding that width the whole length of the tank . A lot of EDUCATED people will also tell you that The smaller sharks need to have X amount of inches width to the tank saying that The shark needs turning room This is some what true but very over stated. Anybody that has watched these sharks can tell you they are extremly manuverable. Sometime they will go in to a small cave turn around and come back out . Spieces such as smooth hounds DO need turning room . They are not compatable with smaller tanks.
The next important factor has to deal with tank mates. The more bottom dwellers you add the larger the foot print needs to be . You don't want to "CROWD" the tank floor with sharks ,rays or eels . But a few swimmers of a resonable size are ok as long as you don't over load the filtration system. when selecting the inhabitant you must take in to concideration the adult size of ALL fish. Sure theres room for a bunch of juvinal fish but they will grow.
The best way to pick a fish is to decide what YOU can handle as far as a tank size, filtration and feeding and then see what is compatable to what you can afford/handle.

Let the flaming begin.

I couldn't have said it better myself... well maybe I could but why be redundant.

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by 5280_humu

Let the flaming begin.

Couldnt have been better said!