new 180 reef

rickycobra

I just got a killer deal on a 180. I plan to set up as a reef, and break down my old 45 gallon. for lights right now I have an ice cap 660, running 4 36" bulbs. I also got four brand new single bulb power compacts with the tank. I would like to buy mh, but have never had them, and dont know what to get. What would you guys recomend doing. I would like to use what I already have and supplement halides. any Ideas, thanks ricky

hmm.. are you looking for sps/calms, or just some LPS and such?
I would personally go with 3 250watt 20ks or 3 250 watt 10ks if you want to switch all your VHOS and PCS into actinics..

y2says

What kind of corals are you looking at keeping? I would go with 3 400w MH and supplement those with 2 VHO actinic. The price difference from 250w to 400w is not that much. The only thing to worry about is heat and monthly bill. I figure using the 400w because if you are like me, we always want to upgrade. You mind as well do it right the first time.
I recently sold my 180g tank and when I had it I wished I could've gone with MH than VHOs. I only had 4 160w bulbs. I can tell my corals weren't growing that fast.

E

elan

i would go with three MH lights. I have two 175s 10k with 2 vho actinic. As you can see from the pic, the edges are dark because the MH dont reach it. I have a 6 foot tank and the MH only light up about 2 feet

I also have a 180 gallon tank, and I am also thinking of getting into sps/clams eventually. So I will be getting 3, 400watt 10k MH with 2-4, 6 foot actinics(vho)| does anybody agree that this will be a very nice looking color in my tank?

wamp

I would go with at least 3 250w... Would be better with 3 400w but then you will have alot of heat to work with.