New 20GL

kirsch66

I'm getting ready to convert a 20 gallon freshwater tank into a saltwater tank. As a freshwater tank, I was using a Penguin 170 filter, normal lighting, and a heater that sticks to the back of the tank. I would like to set the saltwater tank up with some live rock, several annenomes, and a bunch of plant life. I'd like to toss some perc clowns, and different types of shrimp as well. Here are my questions:
1. Will the Penguin filter cut it?
2. Will I need a protein skimmer? If so, when?
3. Will I need a UV Sterilizer?
4. What fish can I put in with the Percs?
Thanks,
Kirsch

russianspy

1. Yes
2. Yes, Right away the better
3. A good protien skimmer should do the trick
4. 2 Gercs, Goby! Royal Gramma

flatzboy

Originally posted by RussianSpy
1. Yes
2. Yes, Right away the better
3. A good protien skimmer should do the trick
4. 2 Gercs, Goby! Royal Gramma

I would say 2 percs and just a goby would be the most that can go in there. The protein skimmer can be avoided by frequent water changes but they are nice to have. And your gonna need strong lighting for an anenome.:D

kablamo

i got a 20 high, myself... i have the penguin 170, but im saving for a remora bak pak 2r skimmer.
I got 20 lbs of lr, and 30 lbs of ls...
umm
5 snails
10 hermit crabs
1 bicolor psuedochromis
1 lawnmower blennie
FW light fixture, but with 50/50 bulb
HTH

nm reef

It sounds like a very workable plan...but for any saltwater system you need to consider a few things that don't apply to fresh water systems. For one you will need to increase your biological filtration...LR & LS will be much more efective than most mechanical filtration. For any corals and/or anonomes you will probably need to radically increase you lighting source. A skimmer would be a very positive addition...and take care to avoid over stocking with fish...especially in such a small system. One other thing...water chemistry is much more critical in saltwater tanks...and in a small tank it can be even more difficult to maintain stable water chemistry.