New 230 gal reef build

spiked09

Originally Posted by griffey_mojo
http:///forum/post/2640471
This thing is an amazing masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someday...I'll think about tackling a project like this. Keep it up.

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words. Hopefully I can get to the main tank soon.

hefner413

Originally Posted by spiked09
http:///forum/post/2639705
Certainly, any thing particular you would like to see?
To be specific... up close shots of everything
Seeing other people's design gives me ideas... thanks again for including us in your build!

spiked09

Alrighty then, here are some more detailed pics.
Here is the cheato compartment, I just slapped it together to keep the cheato from sticking to my standpipe. I do like it though. It's 12" wide x 48" long x 7-8" deep.

Here is a shot of the DIY hood I made from a plastic tool box lid. It contains a 250 watt MH pendant w/remote ballist. I then vented it outside via a 2" ABS duct. Inside the tool box lid is a 12 volt fan pulling the air out. On the opposite end of the duct is another 12 volt fan pushing air outside as the back pressure created by drilling a hole in the side of my house was too great for the single fan to compete with.
So far this has worked perfectly, no moisture collects in my tank, on any of the covers or the pendant. Turn the fans off and condensation forms before your eyes.
I did this to keep evaporation down and to lower the amount of moisture entering my house.
Oh one other thing is did was use a tee instead of a elbow when exiting the hood. As you can see in the picture I have installed a balloon on the end of the tee to clean out any debris or moisture that may collect insided the vertical duct.
FYI the plastic hood never gets even close to hot to the touch, barely even warm.

This next one is a shot of the inside of the tank, nothing fancy.

Here is my LR rubble bed, I wasn't sure what to do with the rubble as I want bare bottom so I put them on a rubbermaid lid for easy cleaning and removal. This is where I will play around with some fragging as well.
In the background You can see a standpipe I made from gutter guard. Just wrap it around a 1.5 section of pipe and sew it together with fishing line. Time consuming to do a good job but it works very well. It will take a lot to plug this drain. I can adjust the open sections by cutting down or lengthening the PVC pipe inside. I kept it a bit high in order to keep the debris floating in the lower regions of the water from being returned to my main tank.

Next is a pic of my skimmer and some of the plumbing. I used 3" PVC for the end of my drain from the main tank. This allows me to support my filter bag better and when the new display tank is ready it will hook right up. I intend to use 3" for most of the drain line on the new tank.

Here is another angle.

Well that's about all I have right now.
If you would like to see anything else or something from a better angle just let me know.
Thanks for looking.

hefner413

SWEEEET! Thanks for the pics. Exactly what I was looking for. Nice DIY work. I especially like the cheato idea. Keep the pics coming! And you'll have to take a bunch of the display once you start on it... nice work man!

spiked09

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2641258
SWEEEET! Thanks for the pics. Exactly what I was looking for. Nice DIY work. I especially like the cheato idea. Keep the pics coming! And you'll have to take a bunch of the display once you start on it... nice work man!
Thanks so much and you bet I will keep posting here. I will take step by step pics of the most anal, cautious aquarium assembly anyone has ever seen. LOL