New 29 gal tank

aquaman

I just started my 29 gal tank, and it will eventually be a reef tank. I started with 13 lb. live rock and 20 lb. live sand. I have a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer for up to 90 gal, and a whisper filter for up to 60 gal. At this point i have only one light strip (perfecto) with a 24 watt bulb. (i know i will be needing more)
I do want to make it a reef tank, so any input you could give me as to my next course of action, or if you think I am doing anything wrong please let me know.
Also I have not decided what fish I would like yet, just that I want it a reef friendly tank.
Bob

salty james

Sounds like you are all set for filtration.
Need more light for corals around 3-5 watts per gallon. More LR will help filter water, and more LS will help with nitrates.
Has your tank cycled yet ?
Corals are sensitive and you will need to wait at least 2 mos before adding leathers polyps etc..
Patience let your tank settle down, and make sure you stay on top of water changes. I change 3-5 gallons a week out of my 29 dependent upon the readings.
hope this helps,

cap'n pete

Click on my house icon on this post to see my homepage about my 29G. Maybe you will get some ideas. I need to update the pics though. This is what I will have in the 29G when it's finished:
-(2) 55W Custom Sealife 24" Power Compacts
(retrofitted)
-Prizm Skimmer
-AquaClear Mini with surface skimmer
-ZooMed Powersweep 212
-50 lbs. of LR
-50 lbs. of LS
-200W heater
-(1) percula clown
-(1) coral beauty
-(1) ? probably a royal gramma
-(1) cleaner shrimp
-(10) atria sp. turbo snails
-(5) scarlet hermits
plus the coral, that's about it. HTH

striker

You'll probably need more ls and lr and definitely upgrade the lighting(but that could wait). A couple of powerheads would help with water movement. Corals so far that have been the most succesful and great to start out with are polyps, star polyps, mushrooms and bubbles. You're definitely going to have to upgrade lighting and wait until tank is established before jumping into corals. In the fish dept I find that perculas are extremely active and beautiful. Buy a pair of them and there will always be movement in your tank. If you stick to small fish you can probably put 3-4 fish at the most in your tank while still keeping quality water. I'd go for more lr and ls, move on to a clean up crew, add a couple of fish, upgrade lighting and then look into corals. Have patience and try to envision what types of corals you want before upgrading your lights. I bought vho's but should have waited for a vho/mh or pc/mh combo. Even with the lighting I have my system can't support sps or clams. Have patience, ask questions and try to plan things out. You will have success if you follow those simple guidelines. Good luck and have fun.