new 29 gal

ccrljmr

just installed rena filstar X2 canister filter in new 29 gal tank. Would I need a skimmer right away, or can it wait a little while? any suggestions on different skimmer brands?

emoezekiel

I have a 30gal myself and I just use an emperor 280 for my filter (HOB). I'm running skimmerless and its working out well for me so far, my water looks really clear. But I heard CPR Back Packs are good and Aqua C remora.

capt.lunch

Any kind of a canister filter or hang on power filter is eventually going to be breaking down your ammonia and nitrites into nitrates and pumping them into your tank. Which equals more frequent water changes. A skimmer can slow this process down considerably. It removes the stuff before it goes into the break down phase, and thus, less nitrates and less water changes.
Bak-Pak and Aqua C are two of the best bangs for your bucks out there. By all means fit one into your budget.

boomper

I use the aqua C on my 29 g and do bi-weekly water changes without any problems. It is definately worth the money and you can probably do some online searching to get a good deal on one.