New 29g FOWLR tank

wiltonk44

I'm planning on turning my 29g fresh water tank into a FOWLR. The main question I have is about filtration. I've researched and researched, but cant find anything definitive. I've read that all I would need for filtration, being that 29g is on the smaller side, is the live rock itself and a protein skimmer (not required). Can you guys confirm this? Thanks!!
**my current filtration for my freshwater tank is an AquaClear50. Could that also be used for my saltwater tank?

Last edited:

jay0705

All depends what you want to do with the tank. Personally i wouldn't run a tank w just lr and a skimmer. You would be better suited to add atleast a hob filter aswell

wiltonk44

All depends what you want to do with the tank. Personally i wouldn't run a tank w just lr and a skimmer. You would be better suited to add atleast a hob filter aswell
I forget to add in I do have an AquaClear 50 on my fresh water tank. Would that be ok if I cleaned it all up and everything?

lmforbis

That filter would work.
I, for the most part, use only live rock and a skimmer for filtration. I have a lot of live rock and a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. The sump is just a place to put more live rock and my skimmer. I have macro algae in the sump as well.