New 3 gallon cubey

jzagami

Hey everyone,
Here a few shots of my new JBJ pico. Let me know what you think..
Stocklist thus far
3.5 pounds of live rock
1.5" caribsea sand bed
1 Cleaner shrimp
1 scarlet hermit
2 blue leg hermit
2 astrea snail
1 nassarius snail
I am really debating whether to get a fish (clown goby) or not..maybejust do some polyps/zoas and inverts

mr llimpid

My concern that your tank is void of algae and waste are you feeding those inverts? And 1 question your rock is sitting on bottom of tank, if not thing will dig under them and get crushed. By the way looks good, love the look of a new tank all clean.

jzagami

Yes, I am feeding my inverts daily. (mostly sinking pellets). Sorry, what will get crushed?

mr llimpid

the creature that digs under your rock if it not sitting on bottom of tank. Also fish love to dig under rocks. I have yellow tail in my reef tank that is trying to dig to china, he is almost there.

jzagami

haha i realized what you meant after i posted..Yeah, still debating to get a goby at all..I am really trying not to overstock. I will definitely fix the rock regardless.

jzagami

Yeah, I know. I've had tanks in the past. (New to a pico though) What do you think of my stocklist? I'm doing weekly water changes with Nutri water to maintain prestine water conditions.

mr llimpid

Your stock list is great, nice to see someone not stuffing a little tank like its a big tank. If you want to stick to only invert that good, thats what my 20gal was for years B4 my son bought me a hammer for my birthday 12 years ago. What kind of lights do you have? A clam would look great in there.

jzagami

Thanks. I'll get some more pics as it becomes a little more established. (Finished cycling not too long ago). As for lighting, it is the stock LED (24-10k white, 24-20k Blue) Also, has 6 LED red lights for night.

mr llimpid

Sorry that light will not support a clam, only LPS or softies corals. I would wait 6 months plus B4 adding any coral to your tank.

debbie

Hello, nice looking Pico. I am back from taking a break from the hobby for a few years but am going in a different direction from what I use to have.

My last tank was a 3 gal pic, I can give you my opinion when I had my 3 gallon going and you can decide for yourself.

I had a cleaner shrimp in mine as well. He did grow way to large to keep him in this tank so I did find a new home for him. You might want to watch out for that as he gets older.

My shrimp recommendation for these Pico tanks is Sexy Shrimp, they will never out grow the tank.

I did try a few different gobies as well, your usual yellow clown gobies etc only having one kind at a time. My thoughts it was not a good idea, just to small for them.

An invert tank with just snails, crabs, sexy shrimp and a few corals perfect. Oh and for snails I prefer your small Ring Cowrie snails, they are the best in my opinion and the crabs leave them alone too.

I have just recently started my 1 gallon Pico up again. This is what I started with 6 years ago and just loved it. This time I am doing a Florida Ricordea Garden only. I do not like the look or rock at all, so my goal is to eventually move what I have over to my 2 gallon. Place the rock in the center of the tank, carefully selecting the rock and waiting for the Rics to grow and cover it all.

I will keep 1-2 snails, 2 crabs and a few sexy shrimp that will be all I would put in this tank.

At the moment I only have 1 piece of rock and two frags of Florida Ricordeas and 1 crab whom I feed everyday.

I keep things very simple using a HOB filter, heater and LED lights, not much to look at the moment very pain and bland but in time as things settle in and start to grow it should be better. I also do not dose anything, in the past I did try Iodine but really did not see any difference. Weekly water changes of 2 cups of water are done. I go through tons of salt every month......LOL

Hope you don't mind my input of what worked for me and did not work. The worst part of this hobby is the Patience

Good luck and keep up the good work.