New 3 Gallon Reef tank

debbie

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2726386
you should get the light. you will be proud if the lighting. i had a 10 watt before the one the tank brought and its nothing compare to the 18 watt. well right now i just put a piece of rock and it looks really great

Can you post a picture here with the light over the tank??
I am really confused, there area a few people that have this light, their biggest complaint is that it runs really hot. My lfs said for my 1 gal tank it would be overkill and very hot even at a height of 6" above the tank.
So now I just don't know what to do, get this fixture or get the 7 watt 50/50 bulb to replace my 7 watt 7600K??
Help......

nygel

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2726455
thats true. i think ima go with a tiny sixline wrasse. is that good
no. it swims a lot, regardless of size.
list i found:
Blue Neon Goby
Clown Gobies
Eviota Gobies
Redhead Goby
Trimma Goby
Yellow Neon Goby
Citron Goby
Green Banded Goby

nissan577

i will put a pic up as soon as i can. and ima give a look atthose gobys. but right now i have to be preparing for the hurricane. i will try to post it up tomorrow the lastest

debbie

Oh my gosh, I am sorry I hope you don't get hit with the hurricane but your safety is most important right now. Post when you can, no hurry at all.
Keep safe.....

nygel

well, it didn't look like anything when it hit the keys, its still a tropical storm at this point anyway

nissan577

thanks debbie
well yes it still a tropical storm but you may never know. i just finish up with my other tanks getting them ready. and i went really fast to my lfs to buy some live rock for my nano. and to my surprise one of the rocks brought a tiny anemone. i believe its a bulb but i dont know yet. so far i havnt lost my light. but my friend told me she lost hers. so im here waiting. though there is lots of wind.

jadette

I have a 2.5g in my office stocked with a sexy shrimp, pom-pom crab, and a clown goby.
I do 2x0.5 water changes a week to keep up with the bioload.
Good luck with your pico. They're a lot of fun. :)

nissan577

thank you very much. and yours looks really good blackjacktang
but something is wrong my tank has been running for a while already and i added a small little rock that had 2 tiny mushroom with a tiny xenia. but everysince i put it in my xenia has been closed except my mushroom. they open wide. and also when i look at my tank from the front the water looks foggy why? and from the top view it looks a little cloudy. can that be something wrong. this never happend to me before im worried

nissan577

first pic is the full tank. it doesnt seem foggy cause of the light but by person it is. by the roof it kinda does but idk if you can tell. and of the mushroom is there and im about to turn on the lights but the xenia are closed

if you look at the bottom right rock you can see a purple thing. thats my xenia :(

nissan577

Well i went to my lfs today and they told me to buy another filter which i did and hopefully it fixes my problem. Also i bought some new frags for the tank:
SNOWY Clove Polyps
GREEN ICE Zoanthids
RAINBOW SHERBET Palythoa Zoos
TANGELO Ricordea
and for fish i bought a clown goby. i was thinking of getting a sixline but everyone told me not to. so yea i wont. so does anyone know what any good coral to buy. i really want to make it a hot reef.

bojik

awesome mini tank :) How often you doing water changes to keep it clean? Running a palm (i think thats the name) back filter?

swnewb562

hey debbie nice tank..i have the exact same tank...how long did u wait before putting your fish and corals?..did it take long for the cycle?...iam thinking of just adding a clip on moonlight to mine...

debbie

Hey I wanted the blue one but they were out. Settled for green instead. So now to the tank.
Everything was taken from my existing 10 gal, sand, rock etc.
I had a very tiny outbreak of cyano but kicked that real fast....

Now, in my opinion with this little tank. DO NOT ADD ANY FISH!!!!!
I had a very very tiny bumble bee goby, he went carpet surfing, the green clown goby did not do well at all. He was a very healthy fish when I bought him but I find it just to hard to keep any kind of fish in there happy.
However, 1 crab, 1 snail, 1 pompom crab, 1 porcelain crab, 1-2 sexy shrimp I would not hesitate to add into this little tank but DO NOT PUT ALL OF THESE IN THERE!!!
I have just one very cool colored crab at the moment. I have green star polyps, 3 frags of zoas, mushrooms, feather duster, 1 tiny ricordia and one red open brain. Very long story on the open brain but all I can say is I am so happy that it is back in my hands and doing well.....

Now you can also get the 7 watt 50/50 light with this tank, I have that bulb on order and waiting to see if it comes in. I am also trying to decide if I want to maybe upgrade to a 2 or 3 gal and get the coralife 18 watt 9" fixture.
I spot feed the crab when I feed the brain and inbetween he keeps the tiny tank pretty clean.
I use a soft toothbrush for the sides of the tank. Careful as it scratches very easy being plexi.
I have come to the realization with this hobby that if I am doing corals it is just corals with inverts no fish and if I wanted fish it would be just liverock and fish only.
Due to the high cost here of everything I am just sticking to what I have at present and really enjoying it. Right now the biggest joy is brining this brain back to life....
and watching my zoas grow and saying a huge prayer for my million dollar ricordia to grow faster.
I also do have a 3/4 watt moon light on and it is quite pretty at night.
Water changes are once a week faithfully. I take out exactly 2 cups of the water and have 2 cups of new saltwater ready to go. My salinity is 1.024 and I use 1 heaping tablespoon of salt for 2 cups of water. Do not use tap water.
Another thing about that filter, go and buy a bag of the small fluval charcoal strips, they have batting on the back and charcoal on the front. Cut them in half and add them to the stuff the filter came with. They polish the water very nicely.
The heater, marineland makes a very cute tiny heater as you can see in my tank. It is I believe a 10watt preset and works and fits like a charm. Although not cheap you still need one.
I don't think I have forgot anything. How long has the tank been up and running and is anything from an exisitng tank??
Any questions don't hesitate to ask. Would be glad to help.