New 300g Predator Tank

cajun country

I just bought a 300g tank and want to stock it with predators. I will get a Volition Lion, but would like to add some tank mates. I have read many post about smaller tanks so i decided to give this a shot to see if the recommendations for a 300g is different. I am in the set up phase so it will be a while before the tank is fish ready. I am just trying to create a stock list. I have 120 lbs of live rock. I would also like some smaller creatures such as hermits and star fish if possible. The tank is 6'L x 3'w x 27"h. I will have an external protein skimmer along with a 70g sump. Any and all fish reconditions will be appreciated. Thanks

S

saxman

Sounds like a nice-sized setup, and a P. volitans should do well in a tank that size.
Since you're getting the lionfish, you'll need to plan your stocking list around it, as there are some considerations in that regard. The lionfish will become a 12" - 15" cube of fish in terms of displacement (this is counting finnage), and they do have large mouths, so anything they can swallow pretty much WILL be swallowed (fish, crustaceans, altho hermits are OK).
A CUC of assorted snails and scarlet reef hermits (Paguristes cadenati) works fine with lionfish. They pay no attention to sea stars, but starfish tend to do poorly in tanks with elevated NO3 levels, which most predator tanks have. Cleaner shrimp are hit-or-miss...sometimes they get a "pass", sometimes not (best bet is to add the shrimp first, or let it go into the rockwork after lights out).
Fish groups to avoid with lionfishes:
Large-species angelfishes
Non-planktonic-feeding triggerfishes (Xanthichthys
and Melicthys
spp are exceptions)
Puffers
These fishes will pick at and harass the lionfish relentlessly, and the lion usually dies as a result.
Fishes that do well with lionfishes:
Lionfishes! All of our DT's contain multiple lionfish species.
Larger scorpionfishes and stingfishes.
Soldierfishes/Squirrelfishes
Large wrasses (harlequin tuskfish are a good one)
Marine bettas
Less aggressive eels
That's a partial list...if you have any questions, give a shout out.

j8kpin

I agree. I have an 100 gallon and ive learnes that lions and angels dont really mix. For a 300 gallon, i would add reef safe triggers, some tangs, and maybe a foxface. But anything that would fit in that lionfish's mouth, keep out of your aquarium

j8kpin

I think a ray would fit in a 300, and ive never kept crabs of ant sort due to my triggers. Best of luck

cajun country

Yes, my lfs has just hatched a banded cat shark and is trying to get him to start eating. The tank is comming along nicely. The only problem i would see with a shark is i think my sand is too corse and may cause injury to the belly of the shark.

cajun country

Yes, my lfs has just hatched a banded cat shark and is trying to get him to start eating. The tank is comming along nicely. The only problem i would see with a shark is i think my sand is too corse and may cause injury to the belly of the shark.

ryanhayes9

How coarse is the sand?
It depends. I mean, having Crushed Coral is a definite no go, but some semi coarse sand might be alright...

S

saxman

Horseshoe crabs get HUGE, and I suspect your shark might eventually eat it anyhow.
For substrate for soft-bodied fishes, I recommend getting either #3 or #1 grade aragonite, and the brand I'd use is TideLine...that stuff requires very little rinsing, and the grains have very smooth edges so they don't irritate the fishes' soft bellies. It works really nicely for our burrowing scorps.