New 36 gallon bow front.

one-fish

Jay...See ya chaeto in your DT been trying to grow in my sump w/no avail. Doesn't the cheato get all over the DT my guess it's a food source for your livestock

jay0705

Jay...See ya chaeto in your DT been trying to grow in my sump w/no avail. Doesn't the cheato get all over the DT my guess it's a food source for your livestock
Lol yes and yes. I put it in during the cycle to knock down nitrates and left it for the kole. It does get messy tho. Now i feed them gracilla and calupera

lmforbis

Clowns won't live In a rock nem, at least I've never heard of that happening. They come from the Caribbean and there are sadly no clownfish in the Caribbean.

jay0705

Agreed w above. Mine could careless. There is a type of easier coral clowns treat like a nem. Ill research and find the name

Jesterrace

Two clown fish is a start but to get the tank cycling I'm going to be getting one or two damsels. The clown fish will be a pair.
From one Newbie to another DO NOT CYCLE THE TANK WITH FISH EVER!!!!!!!!! Take it from a guy who made a huge newbie mistake, just had to throw out all his live sand and live rock and currently has his 36 gallon bowfront and all his equipment on a bleachwater cycle to sanitize the tank. Losing sand and live rock is expensive and painful enough, adding anything else to that equation would be completely catastrophic. One of the reasons there are lots of newbie mistakes out there with saltwater tanks is because you literally have to research every little thing you do (even properly doing a basic clean on your tank to get rid of the manufacturer sticker adhesive, debris in the bottom of the tank) on your own and the manufacturers do a terrible job of clarifying what is good for Freshwater and what is good Saltwater (ie HOB Filters that come with media bags that might be good for freshwater setups, but detrimental to saltwater setups). Not trying to scare you or dissuade you, just trying to make sure that you research everything to the full every step of the way.

No my tank will be cycled with live sand and live rock. That's why I wanted to make sure of that before I even thought about making a move with fish while cycling it. But you didn't spoook me... that's why I'm asking a million and one questions as well as doing research and buying this book or two. I wanna make sure I do it right as this is more for my 5 year old autistic son. I don't want anything going wrong with this.

As far as a canister filter goes I was looking at a sun sun as I've heard some good things about them. How often do you clean and what do you clean for that matter??? Just curious. Want to make sure I'm going to make the best decision here.

jay0705

With a canister its suggested weekly. You rinse the media in salt water not fw. Lightly stocked tank maybe you could get away with every 2 weeks