new 45 tall

jon_boy

hi, im just now finishing the cycling of my 45 tall and want to know what everyone's suggestions are on coral, more fish, and inverts...i'm running a penguin 330 with a prizm skimmer and a coralife 2x96w pc strip, at the moment i only have a couple shrooms and 2 damsels
Thanks

pacopetty

I don't think you have enough light for to many different corals but you can get a lot of different types of fish.
Good luck with your selections

jon_boy

the tank is 24 inches tall, thanks for the replies....
i was wondering how many and what fish i could get in there? im not too sure of how to stock a sw tank

timo

The fish to gallon ratio is much lower with saltwater than fresh. Also, remember that fish swim side to side, not up and down, so that limits your # more than the gallon/fish rule. A few small fish that are compatable with each other in a small tank will do fine.

dreeves

Your tank is 36x13x24deep probably?? As for the statement above about a ratio..disregard that in its entirety...
Saltwater fish are completely different then your freshwater fish. Each species has particular needs, compatability issues, feeding needs, general habitat needs...which are often times not compatible with many other (if any) species.
You could put one fish in a tank and it would be all the tank could hold due to its size and the particular species of the fish.
Very touchy. I have a 45 tall which is in the workings of a reef...and for fish all I have is a yellow tail damsel and a red spotted hawkfish...I wont put anymore fish in there.

jon_boy

thanks everyone, i was originally going to use a 30gal cuz i thought it was too tall also... so i'll probably swap it over in the near future, any advice to what corals i keep keep in a 30 gal which is 12inches deep with my 192 watt pc fixture would be greatly appreciated

timo

Stick with the 45...the more water, the better, just don't overstock it. Treat it like a smaller tank with fish #'s, and enjoy.

ty_05_f

There are a lot of softies and leathers that would work well, Colt, toadstool, GSP, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Xenia just to name a few, for LPS you could probably do some Candycane maybe a Bubble coral.

dreeves

When working with the PC's...arange your liverock in a manner in which you can place more light intense specimens higher in the water...i found this helpful with the polyps I have prior to changing to MH.

jon_boy

hey again, just so everyone's knowledge, i swapped over to the 30 gallon 2 days ago. dang that was a pain, but i don't think i have the problem of the light reaching bottom anymore, heh