new 55 gal

posie77

I am trying to decide exactly what type of protein skimmer i should go with for my 55g. I currently have a double bio wheel my tank isn't drilled, my next one will be!! I am unsure what the best option would be I have seen many different however, I am limited due to the fact that I don't have a sump. I also have about 55 pounds of live rock I am considering more but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Any input would be great!!

scaples

You will probably get alot of different answers on the protein skimmer...i have an aqua c remora on my 46 and have been very happy with it

dun properly

I have to agree with Scaples, I have a AquaC Remora Pro on my 46 gallon and I couldn't possibly be happier with it. It might be tempting to get a cheaper skimmer, but I would advise against getting something just because it is cheap.
Again, the Remora is very easy to use and setup, works extremely well and will last years. IMO, you can't go wrong with one.

posie77

I have decided to do it the right way, I have been tempted to do stuff the cheap way but no matter what this is a expensive hobby so if your going to do it you should do it right!! I just wish i would have got a drilled tank, next time I am becoming an addict so i'm sure it won't be long till i get another tank!! I will check out the aquac!

E

eric b 125

you could get a HOB overflow to incorporate a sump into your system, but if you lose power, you could lose the siphon and the DT could overflow when the power comes back on. i suggest you drill the tank, or get a HOB skimmer. drilling the tank would be cheaper and is more reliable, and is better looking IMO. if you dont want to drill, i think the remora skimmer is a good suggestion.

kevindouglas3

i have a CPR on my 55 and it works wonders CPR is a local company in Arcata CA that is known for their skimmers and sump setups i would look into those also and there not to bad on the wallet either good luck..

ryancw01

I have a Deltec MCE300 on my 65. Seems to work really well. I took out the one that came with the EcoSystem refugium. Keep and eye on that Double Bio Wheel. That is going to become a nitrate factory for sure. Those are not really made for saltwater tanks. Could be fine though as long as you have plenty of flow in the tank and lots of live rock.

posie77

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do about the skimmer and filtration, I have contemplated many different things getting a fuge dumping the filter and getting a cansister filter I wish there was a book that said exactly what to do I have read many posts and everyone has thier own opinion as to what is best. It may be 2 more months of my tank sitting with rock and water untill I decide. At least I know my tank will be cycled lol