New 55 with pics

5280_humu

Originally Posted by Vanos
I've read in magazines where some people have gotten away with a niger and a humu humu with no other fish in a 46 gallon bowfront without fighting. Why not give it a try.....

BAD IDEA ! I can garantee they didn't house them that way for very long.
Nigertrigg: You might want to thin out the sand bed . Your running the risk of nitrate build up . and If that does happen you could loose your fish. it will acumulate untill it becomes a pocket of posion gas and is released causing your water to instantly become toxic and your fish will die with in seconds.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 5280_humu
Nigertrigg: You might want to thin out the sand bed . Your running the risk of nitrate build up . and If that does happen you could loose your fish. it will acumulate untill it becomes a pocket of posion gas and is released causing your water to instantly become toxic and your fish will die with in seconds.
Well, unless he is maintaining it as a Deep Sand Bed. In that case 4 inches is fine.

nigertrigg

Originally Posted by 5280_humu
I have a deep sand bed so that it will take away nitrates not build them up. How would I maintain it to prevent that gas that becomes toxic. I always thought you should never mess with a deep sand bed because theres that bacteria (arobic or aerobic.....something like that) that once it hits oxygen, the bacteria dies and causes a fluxuation in the biological process causing nitrates to build up really fast since all that bacteria died.

nigertrigg

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Because the VAST majority of the time situations like that lead to dead pets... that's why.
Yeah I am not getting two triggerfish anymore. I will just go with a tang. How about a dragon wrasse, and a blue spotted Hawian Puffer and a Hawkfish. Would that be enough along with my niger?

nigertrigg

Originally Posted by NM reef
Somethings never change do they nigertrigg?
Same old song and dance...same old routine....more than likely the same old result.
not really the advice I was looking for but ok. :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish