New 55gal Tank...

one-fish

Think I am coming to the end of this tank finally cycling. Taking some advise from the members here I have added 6lbs of LR to the dry base rock in hopes of seeding that to help reduce the persistent nitrite levels. Some of the LR has that nice red/purple algae growing on it. Acclimated 2 black mollies to saltwater and added them about a week ago to the hermit and 2 snails. One of the mollies is MIA spent the first night in the sump guessing it jumped but cant find it. The other mollie had babies, have 10 or so in the DT/Sump. Glad I added the fish because when I saw it swimming around noticed my overflows and tank circulation needed improvement ....trial and error...Made a light bar to hold three 12w LEDS 5000K bulbs (fish only tank) plus two blue all on timers. Did a 40% or so WC yesterday and rearranged the the rocks when I installed new overflows, this designed works a lot better. Have been testing water everyday after adding rock and have seen N02 drop to .25 ppm. Just don't understand how I can have a NO2 level with no Amm. or NO3 present. Something is still not right hoping by adding the LR and fish it will stabilize. BTW this tank has been running over 3 months. Anyway what to add chaeto to the sump.. Will it just die off due to no NO3 level....should I test for phosphates in a fish only tank using RODI water.......Thx..

2quills

After 3 months and ghost feeding I probably wouldn't worry too much about nitrite at this point. It isn't dangerous in saltwater anyways. The main thing is ammonia.

I would guess there is an abundance of phosphate in the system. Probably less after the water change but it enters the system via feeding or leaching from the rocks.

Now that you have light you'll soon see an explosion of color as the nuisance algae etc starts to take off.

one-fish

Have noticed some small spots of green algae weeks ago getting bigger but not really spreading that's why I was wondering about growing the chaeto. Probably right on the upgraded light but at this point I'll gladly welcome the explosion of color. So back to testing for phosphate should I or will regular WC handle it..Thx

2quills

Regular water changes are the ultimate equalizer. They don't necessarily solve certain issues but they will certainly bring things back in line and you can manage them that way. It's really a matter of personal preference.

But to answere your question yes you undoubtedly come to a point where you will need to manage them somehow and testing is a way of gauging what's working and what isn't.

Personally, I would have already added macro algae by now. But that's just me.

one-fish

I am with you.... LFS was out but also told not to due to NO2 still present said it would kill it. Already have the light and have made space in the sump for it to rest
Thx again....

2quills

I've never seen nitrite in an aquarium kill algae.

There are bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrite and conversely there are bacteria that form a symbiotic relationship with algae and plants that "fix" nitrite into a more use able form (ammonia) in order to consume it.

It all sounds a little confusing. To this day I feel like I still don't fully understand all of the biological processes that occure within our tanks in regards to the nitrogen cycle.

I've burned/killed plants before by feeding them too much nitrogen. I just don't think I've ever witnessed levels high enough to kill it in our tanks.

geridoc

If your ammonia and nitrate levels are zero, but you are measuring positive nitrite values I would suspect the test itself. Take the kit to your LFS and test their water to validate your kit.

one-fish

Yes that was questioned, LFS also used API test kits and got the same reading as I did on different visits but I didn't test their water with my kit. Going to switch brands when buying again. Other than the .25 NO2 reading everything looks normal for a new tank, in this stage of the game time is on my side. Researching Gobies and blennies as my first fish like the tailspot and the lawnmower but still undecided. Thx.

lmforbis

Gobies are great starter fish, like yellow watchman gobies. There are some goby species that can be difficult though. With blennies, make sure your tank can support them. Mine will eat off a algae clip but not all will do that. They won't necessarily like the algae growing in your tank. You are doing your research so you should be fine.

one-fish

Well got two Clown Fish 5 days ago doing fine eating well. Since then seeing a small (I hope) Diatom Bloom seems the new LR starting turning brown and well O I did add a new Light Bar too, but this just might be a normal thing for a freshly cycled tank Doing aggressive clean-up from the ghost feedings I have been doing and WC's PO4 level .25 ppm Added chaeto to sump w/ grow light just to see if it will grow thinking of adding Phos guard if things get out of hand. Other wise Happy to own this tank Family is taking interest Thats Good !!! makes it special...