new 65 pics

jonthefb

thanks a lot guys, its nice to hear some complementing words....much better than the usual..."HOW MUCH DID THAT COST?" from the gf!
Tracklighter....the tank is a 65 gallon AGA Reef ready tank, that is 36 inches long, by 18 inces deep by 24 inches tall....
the tank sits on the aga approved stand, however i made my own canopy out of MLB from HOme Depot....used 1X4 for the bottem trim and 1X8 for the top part...i will get pics of this tomorrow....the inside is painted with a high gloss exterior acrylic white pain so i get maximum reflectivity, and then i have my lights mounted on reflectors as well....
under teh stand is my fuge that is basically a demolished US aquarium wet dry filter....very simple....will also get pics of this tomorrow....
GaryCarr...i had the tank with the dead sand/water circulating for 48 hours and then added pieces of cured live rock until i had the desired amount int he tank (about 90 pounds) I also used a 20 pound bag of arag-alive sand over teh dry and about 5 pounds of live sand from the bin we sell out of at the shop i work at....i also added all of the cured rock and sand from my 20 gallon after i eventually broke it down....all in all i waited aobut 2 weeks before putting any livestock in the tank, and this accounted for only one loss, a blue maxima clam, that wasnt thriving under the pc lights of the 20 anyway...!!
Vibe...the ricordea in the tank are mushrooms...a highly collectible, and often pricey mushroom at that...they are also often called bubble mushrooms, but are very cool and neat to get ahold of....if you have a couple, congrats!
again thanks all for your great comments, and i hope to see some of your tanks in the future!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

thanks compliance....im really excited to get tehse guys gowing and fraggable! cost is definately an option when it comes to acros and sps corals...it is definately cooler to get propped frags from friends, grow them out and then frag em again! i just hope they dont take too long!
thanks again guys, and good luck
jon

broomer5

Look'n good jonthefb !!!
Bet you love having more room now !
More room - more corals ;)
More money :(
Look really nice

jonthefb

thanks broomer, you are exactly right....thats why im tryin to start small with little sps frags!
good luck
jon

spsfreak100

Jon,
Great tank! Your Montipora Capricornis has great coloration!
What kind of lighting are you running over the tank?
Graham

jonthefb

salty jeff, the two things that are most important in this hobby are lighting and water quality.....if you skimp on either your waiting for a catastrophe to happen...for sps and such, lighting is the ost important factor as these guys get about 80 percent of their energy from their symbiotic zooxanthellae.....look at that again, 80 PERCENT, thats a whole lot jsut from the lights, therefor you should never skimp on this aspect of the hobby.......sure mh might be super expensive (in my case it wanst)but the healt and growth of your corals will make up for it in the very near future!
Hey Graham...thanks for the complements....in the hood i have 2 250 watt AB 13K Mh bulbs, supplemented with 2 75 watt vho actincs.....the buls and all are maybe 8 inches above the water,with no glass top....i have a 4 inch cooling fan in one side of the canopy, and the top is basically open except for a couple of 1X4's that hold the light fixtures.......i have the actinics come on half an hour beore the halides, and each halide is on its own timer, with both being on at the same time for about 11 hours a day...i will take some pics so you can see my hood set up!
good luck
jon

josh

Looking good Jon, are you running the DE of SE lamps? Any plans for a reactor in the future?

jonthefb

josh, they are the standard mogul based single ended halides, but i love the color they put off.....very pleased indeed. as for a calcium reactor.....dunno yet... l tittle tooo much for my budget right now, and right now ive got plans for a float valve next, and am currently dosing Seachems Reef Calcium and Carbonate in the concentrated powdered form and it seems to be working well, along with dripping kalkwasser....i need to find a small calcium reactor...any ideas on a diy setup?
thanks jon

josh

If you are dripping 24/7 you will need to keep an eye on the pH.....been there done that.

jonthefb

that was the whole setup/tank/stand/canopy.
heres a pic of the open canopy..i idecided to design it so that it opened from let to right instead of from front to back, cause its a lot easier to work in the tank this way!

Thanks for the pics jon.
I like the open close from left to right. I haven't seen that before.
Looks like you have a great lighting combo! You are lucky.