New 65g SPS tank underway...

A

azul1994

Looking Good! What type of fish are you thinking of adding?

reefmate75

are you not worried about them balasts heating up your tank when you dont want it to being that they are right under your tank?

coraljunky

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2497925
are you not worried about them balasts heating up your tank when you dont want it to being that they are right under your tank?
The Blue Wave ballast doesnt get as hot as you would expect. So far, without any fans, the tank has only creeped up to 81. I have a variable speed fan on the way so I can control temp from the lights and evaporation rate. Besides, I dont have anywhere else to put/mount it. I would rather have had electronic ballasts, but I cant complain about the price.

coraljunky

Sure do...........The tank didn't cycle at all. I used live rock, sand, and water from 2 other established tanks
I just recently started moving sps into it.

volcom69

In my 55 gal mostly sps i have 2 vortech powerheads dialed about 2/3 or so maybe more and my mag 7 for my return. You may find yourself needing more flow then that in your tank when things grow out. The more flow the better for the sps.

coraljunky

Originally Posted by volcom69
http:///forum/post/2532202
In my 55 gal mostly sps i have 2 vortech powerheads dialed about 2/3 or so maybe more and my mag 7 for my return. You may find yourself needing more flow then that in your tank when things grow out. The more flow the better for the sps.
Thats why I have Tunze 6055's on the way

volcom69

Nice i like the tunze, but i didnt want all the powerheads in my tank so thats why i went with the vortechs, plus i love the fact that i can pick and choose what mode to put them in. I think right now in my tank i have close to 5,000 gph or so in my tank with just 2 powerheads and my return. Good luck its lookin good so far, just make sure you keep your levels stable and good.