new 72 gallon bowfront, please help with setup

krazyk

just bought a new 72 gallon bowfront today, Would like to start with the setup..
how much sand?
how much live rock?
fluval 404 or emperor 400 filter
protein skimmer?
what to get for lights? 48inch fixture?
thanks in advance

pontius

it's all your personal preference.
I'd go with at least a 3 inch deep sand bed.
I'd try to go with about 1.5 pounds per gallon of live rock, but you don't have to do it all at once.
as for lights, depends on if you want corals or not. and if so, what kinds of corals?
do you have an overflow? did you buy a sump/wet/dry package or are you going to do something else for the filter?
If you're doing something else and need a skimmer, I got one on a tank this week that I'd consider selling pretty cheap. also, I've got a Coralife 4x65 watt powercompact light (also came with the tank I bought this week) that I'd sell pretty cheap if I can figure out how to ship.

krazyk

Just bought 110lbs of aragonite, the finer like sand stuff... (how do you rinse this?)
I decided to get the emperor 400, I just got one off the big site for $50 to my door brand new...
will my seaclone 100 skimmer work ? for now anyways ?
what to get for power heads? how many?

pontius

with my 72 gallon, the return pump from the sump turns the water over around 10x per hour. then, I have 3 Maxi Jet 900 powerheads. with my 150, I am going to have two large pumps (around 500 gph) in addition to the overflow pump, and 2 maxi jet 900.
don't know about that skimmer, just to see what size tank it's recommended for.

krazyk

Its rated to 100gallons....
I got the sand all clean and put that in (110lbs)
I also made up all the water and thats in as well, what a tast that was !!!
The tank is a bit cloudy but it isnt that bad, I have no filters, powerheads,heater anything in there cept 1 piece of LR and the sand....
I think I am gonna leave it like this overnight then maybe add a powerhead tommorow...
I'm siked !! Cant wait to put the stuff from my 37 gal in there....

pontius

the skimmer is rated at 100 gph? I don't know. do some research. I think mine in my 72 is about 250 gph, but my wet/dry (which the skimmer is a part of) is rated for up to 150 gallons. so maybe you'd be ok with that.
you have an overflow? the cloudiness should clear by tomorrow morning.

krazyk

Originally Posted by Pontius
the skimmer is rated at 100 gph? I don't know. do some research. I think mine in my 72 is about 250 gph, but my wet/dry (which the skimmer is a part of) is rated for up to 150 gallons. so maybe you'd be ok with that.
you have an overflow? the cloudiness should clear by tomorrow morning.
my skimmer is rated for up to an 100 gallon tank, it uses a maxijet 1200 pump so whatever that puts out for gph...
i dont have an overflow....
I was gonna use 110lbs sand (get 5-10lbs live sand down the road)
and about 100-120 lbs of live rock, (currently have about 60 in my 37gal)
emperor 400 filter and my seaclone 100 skimmer...
I just need to get 2 power heads... .

krazyk

anyone else have some advice ?
(kinda makes me mad to no replies , i make a post with my old setup and I get flamed to all hell, I ask for advice there after and only 1 guy tries to help me... =0( )
What should I get for light ? a 48inch fixture?
how many watts do I need ??

hippocampu

Originally Posted by KrazyK
anyone else have some advice ?
(kinda makes me mad to no replies , i make a post with my old setup and I get flamed to all hell, I ask for advice there after and only 1 guy tries to help me... =0( )
What should I get for light ? a 48inch fixture?
how many watts do I need ??
best thing is a 48 inch fixture ,
write back to me and tell me if its a fish tank or reef tank, and I will give you some good advice. ive be setting up tanks for 19 years. thats what i do will try to send you some pictures
silentworldj7@aol.com
e-mail e because they wont let me send my pitures the files are to many mb
Jay

krazyk

Originally Posted by hippocampu
best thing is a 48 inch fixture ,
write back to me and tell me if its a fish tank or reef tank, and I will give you some good advice. ive be setting up tanks for 19 years. thats what i do will try to send you some pictures
silentworldj7@aol.com
e-mail e because they wont let me send my pitures the files are to many mb
Jay
jay my email is kookookoo9@aol.com
I plan on doing a reef setup so I know I'll need a bit more wattage....
Keith

krazyk

How long can I leave the water left untouched with just the salt tap water mixed before adding powerheads, heater, filter ???

dreamreef

My best advice for anyone starting a new tank is to plan ahead. As exciting as it is to jump in, I realize now I probably would have done a couple things different. Plan ahead = save $$ in the long run. I have the same tank, and I went with a 48" Coralife power compact light, which I am very happy with. This light is 260 watts, which translates into 3.6 watts per gallon. I am going to upgrade top MH when I save the $$$. It works well for a fish only, and I also have a few anemones that are doing fine. It just depends on what you are planning to keep in your tank. Just make sure you have enough watts per gallon for what you are stocking. Lighting can be very expensive, but if you only have to buy lighting once, it sure beats what I have to do which is buy lighting twice!!! You are going to need to keep your inhabitants happy and alive!!! and so many people try to get by on too little light. I went with a XP3 Filstar canister filter, which is both easy to maintain, and efficient, rated - 350 gph. I like it, but honestly I will eventually switch to a refugium wih a very good skimmer, such as an ETSS, when i upgrade to a reef tank! A skimmer is very important, and as I have never used the one you have, try it and see how you like it. You can always upgrade or change it to suit your needs. Also, I have about 80-90 lbs of fiji rock, and add a little here and there when I see a piece I just have to have. Make sure it is fully cured before putting it in your tank if you have livestock already in your tank. I only have about 60 lbs of crushed coral, and I like the way it looks, but again I've seen tanks with no substrate at all> *** but I'm not reccommending that!*** With the filter - 350 GPH, plus a powerhead rated - 400 GPH, I am turning it over about 10 times an hour, which many people reccommend, but a lot of it is personal preference, and what you are stocking in your tank.
The great thing about saltwater tanks is that you can constantly upgrade them as needed, which in my case is true. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your new setup!! PS> I just posted some pics of my tank, so you can see how I set mine up.

black777

wow you'v bin in salt fish for a long time. I'm looking at geting a 75 gal tank. All I'm doing is reading right now. I thought it was only going to cost about mmmm 600.00 dollars or so. Well what a surprise. I want to go with a reef tank. I'd like to have Live rock, coral, and fish. I'm hopping not to spend about 1000. dollars. Can you help me with the type of wet/dry, type of skimmer, type of lights. That would be great. As for now I'm going to save my money so I can buy the things I need. I know it's going to take time so I'm ready for that. That's very much.

milomlo

I would say to save you a bit of money you could get some base rock. Base rock is alot cheaper than LR and it will become live over time. I have a 29 gal tank and I have 15# base rock and 15# of LR and my base rock is already getting coraline algae on it. I have only had it set up since October.
Good Luck!!