New 750g aggressive set up. Need help

steve102571

I have had an agressive 220g before, but I just recently upgraded to a 750g
(10'wx4'dx30"h) acrylic marine ready from Tenecor. It has a 125+/-gallon sump wth approx 85 gallons of bio balls, 3.5-4" dsb, acrylic rocks, (4) 8' HO (110w 7100k) bulbs, and an HSA1000. It began to cycle the tank approx 16 days ago with 1.5 lbs (38) of large, raw, peeled shrimp. Two days ago, the amonia peeked at 1ppm and it now down to zero. Today's nitrite is up to 5ppm and the nitrate is up to 10ppm. It is my understanding that the initial size of the amonia spike determines the initial size of the beneficial bacteria colonies that will eventually consume and covert amonia-nitrite-nitrate. If this is the case, should I:
1. Leave the old shrimp in place and add more new shrimp, thus creating a second spike
2. Remove old shrimp and add new shrimp
3. Remove all of the shrimp, allow the process to contimue until zero are achived and then slowly add fish until balance is achieved. I planned on intro ducing the 2 rays at the same time, then one month later, intro both sharks at the same time, and then add the others one or two at a time until completed
Next, my tank has massive amounts of diatoms and green algae on the sand, when can I add the clean up crew?(these will obviously consumed by the fish when they are added).
Should I "feed" the tank b/n the time of the clean up crew and fish intro? If so, how much.
Must have list
2 Calfornia (yellow rays)
2 Bambooo cat sharks
1 Lionfish
1 Panther Grouper
1. Chainlink eel
Possible addtions:
Black Niger Trigger
Wrasse (lunar)
Other suggestions are welcome

peter1215

I would go with option #3. Once your tank has cycled there is no need to add more shrimp. I would also remove the the old shrimp since its just rotting in the water. Once your nitrites hit zero you can begin to gradually add fish slowy. Not too many in one shot or you could cause another spike. I would also get some live rock in the DT. You have plenty of room. LR is more beneficial than bioballs . Bioballs will also eventually become a big nitrate factory unless you clean them often which is a pain. The diatom bloom is a natural process in the new tanks. It should go aways soon. I would add a couple of large tangs to your list to permanently help with algae buildup. good luck and please post a picture of the tank.

kingphish

I to have a 750g. I was using 2 cr300 with cs202 hose kit and I had an aquanetics uv machine. I had algae probs to. I switched equipment to inline filters custom modular design by pentair. I have yet to have an algae problem and water is crystal clear

culp

750 Gallons! i have been telling every one i know at school and at work that i am upgrading to a 125 gallon tank but it does not even compare to that.

js1976

Originally Posted by kingphish
http:///forum/post/2933719
I to have a 750g. I was using 2 cr300 with cs202 hose kit and I had an aquanetics uv machine. I had algae probs to. I switched equipment to inline filters custom modular design by pentair. I have yet to have an algae problem and water is crystal clear
What are your thoughts on this inline filter system?