New 90 Gallon Reef Tank Build

jyoung28

I am starting up a new tank. 90 Gallon Reef Tank. So far all I have is the stand and tank itself (90g drilled with overflow). I am looking for opinions/options on filter/skimmer/pump/lights etc. The LFS that is pretty local to me is not very experienced with SW and to get to anywhere that is I have a 1 1/2 hr drive. So, I am trying to get everything together that I need before I either go that far or order online. So far in my research I have gotten very confused. There is so much out there and the prices vary so much. I am a believer that you "get what you pay for" alot of times so I want to make sure I purchase what I need and will work best for my set up but also be smart about my purchasing. Any suggestions, ideas, etc. are much much appreciated.
I do have a Biocube 29 that I have had for a while so I understand the cycling process and everything once I get set up I just have no idea where to start on buying the parts and pieces I need for this tank to get going.

flower

Hi, and welcome to the site,
Everyone has their own way that works for them, so I can only give you my opinions, and list of equipment that I personally like.
Having a pre-drilled tank is awesome, a sump system is the best way to go. As for a filter, that's what a sump is. You can add whatever media you want in there, some go for a filter sock, and some just add some course filament to collect the big stuff. My seahorses are super messy eaters, so I put a HOB in the tank besides the sump, because the media is easier to change for me without bending down (I'm disabled, and that's hard for me).
I order everything on-line, that way I get what I want, as opposed to getting just what is available in the stores, which as a rule has a very limited selection. 1 1/2 hour drive...I would go on-line for sure.
For a reef, you need some heavy duty lighting, LEDs or Metal Halides. LEDs last the longest and run cool, Metal Halides run hot, but really put out the needed light. The lighting will be the most expensive piece of equipment...so don't skimp, get the best you can afford. Up-grading cost too much, and it's best to get it right on the first purchase.
If you can create a separate chamber in the sump for a refugium, you will be very happy with it. It doesn't need to be very large...it's just a happy place for the tiny reef critters to breed, and keep your fish happy with live snacks. Keeping macroalgae in there will keep your tank water pristine. with corals that's very important.
I like the Octopus or Tunze brand of skimmer. Stay away from anything Coralife, IMO that brand is just plain garbage.
IMO, A titanium heater is the best.
Don't get API test kits...Salifert, Instant Ocean, and Seachem are good kits. Try and get master kits, it's cheaper then purchasing each test separately. I had to purchase the magnesium test, because none of my master kits carried that one.
To keep a reef, you want to be able to test for:
PH
Alkalinity or KH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Phosphates
magnesium
Calcium

E

eric b 125

With a 1.5 hr drive I agree that ordering online is your best bet. My experience with lighting fits what Flower has said. I have upgraded my lights twice already in 4 years and I'm fixin to upgrade again, to LED's, at the end of the year. It was suggested of me to check out Reefbreeder's Photon units and from the reviews I've read (and the price) they are what I've decided on personally. The heat created by MH was an issue with me in the past and the energy savings with LED's is a huge benefit.
You could cut some costs by ordering base rock. I have Marco Rocks in my tank and I'm pleased with them.
I've used API test kits for years and I am happy with them

jyoung28

Thank you very much for the information! It is much appreciated. I now have my lights picked out (going with LED's) and a sump with sock filter and skimmer picked out. I have one more question tho. I'm a little confused on all the pumps that show different gph amounts. In my research I have seen where I should shoot for 10x my display size which would be around the 900 gph mark. I have also read where too much flow to your skimmer (which will be in my sump) will cause it not to work properly. So, my next question is what size return pump should I go with and should I add powerheads/wavemakers inside my display? I do want to keep SPS in the tank so I need to make sure my flow will be correct for them. I think then I should be ready :)

islandkoa

Hello. I'm also in the prep stage of upsizing from my 55 to a 90 with LPS and soft. After some research and trial and error, I'm going for around a 1000 gph return and a wavemaker. I just went against conventional wisdom and ordered an adjustable return pump and a wp40. Both made by jebao.. . .whose limited reputation is offset by its price. There are some videos online which shows their functionality. Looks pretty impressive.