new 90 gallon tank

aquaman2

i just got a bran new 90 gal tank for $90 and it was priced for $240. but i need the stand,sand,lr,lights,skimmer. If anyone lives in IL and has anything for sale il look at it. Also i was looking at the new prisim skimmer does the skimming make up for the noize or not?

aquaman2

also i was thinking of making my own stand out of 4*4s and plywood. Has anyone else built their own stands?

aquaman2

how much does one of those cost? Im thinking since my tank is over 50 gallons i need a sump but i dont know how or all its used for. :confused:

mr. tang

I have a 90 and have built my own stand. I had a ton of fun doing it. I also did it with 4x4's and oak faced plywood. The stand was 40 inches tall.
The only problem with 4x4's is that they will take up a ton of room under your tank. Especially on the sides. If you figure take 1 1/2 inches off for the 3/4 inch plywood on each side then 7 inches for the 2 4x4 posts, you only had 18" to begin with now you have only 9 1/2" of space to put in a sump. Try and find a tank that is 9 1/2 inches wide... Thus the sumps will take up more room, however I love the finish on my tank. Buy stain and varnish in one gallon containers. (Mistake I made) and if you will be using 3/4" plywood and 4x4 posts, put handles on the sides of the tank in to help the two people it will take to carry it.

mr. tang

Let me put it this way, I will have a sump for my 90. Currently I am unemployed and the progress I was making on my 90 has slowed to a halt for the time being. However I am planning and have ordered two different sumps.
My stand is 40 inches tall so I made a shelf in the tank. On the upper part I plan on putting a 20 gallon long refugium and on the bottom a 29 gallon sump for my heaters, skimmer, etc.

aquaman2

Does anyone else feel i will need a bigger skimmer i was looking at the prizm because it doesnt cost as much as others.

mr. tang

Just a FYI, I have purchased a ETSS Evolution 500 with a WMD-30RLT Iwaki Pump for mine... They aint cheap, but I heard that they work fantastic.