New Additions

tomsreef

Here is a pic of my new Elegance Coral and Not sure on the type of Clam but I got it for a great price.. No name was on it..

tomsreef

Where is the best position for the Clam? This is the first one I have owned and do not know alot about them..

tomsreef

Tangsfornuttin: Just for your info so I can get an intelligent answer like you mentioned I have 3 250wt MH and 2 400wt MH bulbs on my 300. I also have 4 96 wt pc attnics and 8 moonbeam bulbs for the night time effect..
I have also researed all the items I buy and I have had great success for almost 13years with a FOWLR tank. I have had reef tanks but always on the small scale. This is my first big investment. I was mainly asking where everyone was having there best success with keeping these Clams. And can give me any info on good success with keeping them..
No Flame intened just giving you the info that you needed with some explanation of my Saltwater history. :D
Tom

tomsreef

Tangsfornuttin: Thank you for the ideas.. As for my VAST knowledge well lets just say I have been doing this for awhile and I have fairly good knowledge but definelty NOT VAST:eek: ...
I never took your response as a flame i just wanted to let you know that I am not a newbie in this hobby only a newbie on this board.. Thanks again for the ideas.. I will keep him were he is at. I think the placement is good for him.. I had no clue if it was a Maxima clam or not when I purchased him. My LFS had a huge sale and there was a tank filled with 20-30 clams all for $35 each so I wasn't sure on the species.. Thanks again and I will update you on how he does..
Tom

nm reef

Impressive....good to see ya'all playion' nice!!;)
Tom..very nice lookin Maxima. Several members here keep 'em with success...best of luck with yours. I am limited to a squamosa myself...but I'll eventually develope better lighting and increase my selection. Any of the light loving clams will also benefit from a stable/mature system with proper levels of calcium & alkalinity. Most of the Maximas I've seen have been located on the rock work but a few have been placed lower on the sand bed. Maybe somebody with more experience can help you with yours....good luck with it.Just to be a show off here is my only clam to date....got this guy as a 3" baby...its now closer to 5" and doin' great.

justinx

Originally posted by TomsReef
I have 3 250wt MH and 2 400wt MH bulbs on my 300. I also have 4 96 wt pc attnics and 8 moonbeam bulbs

Tom . . . you dont have ANYWHERE near enough lighting for a clam. You couldnt even grow hair algae under that light!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: (can I lay the sarcasm on any thicker?;) )
An excellent purchase my friend! Best of luck you you! As for placement, i would start at the bottom attached to a small piece of rock that can be easily moved. If you notice its health declinig, move it upwards. But definitely start at the bottom. Also, contrary to a previous comment, do NOT direct feed a clam. Add DT's or a similar product to the water column, and the clam will get it. I have been feeding a baby clam for about a year now by doing this and have yet to have any problems.
HTH
Justin

M

macyjo

another thing I would add
If you decide to put him higher in the tank...you do have LOTS of light--I would acclimate him slowly--he may not be used to that much light ...just from the lfs and all. Eventhought they are light lovers --if he has been kept under lower lighting than you have --he may be stressed if placed too high right away.

M

macyjo

sorry i did mean to rehash what was said above my first post--i missed it I just second that post:D

justinx

Written by Daniel Knop (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a...ll/default.asp)
Feeding — Just as with all the other giant clam species, it is not necessary to feed T. maxima. With some species feeding might even have a negative effect because they have adapted to relatively clear waters (e.g., T. maxima, T. crocea, T. derasa). Their gills have adapted to waters that are free of particulate matter. These species react negatively to extremely turbid waters, as well as to direct feeding with particulate or floating matter, because this can clog the gills (Adams et al. 1988). This is dangerous to the clams because they get their oxygen via the gills. In nature, conditions of extreme turbidity (e.g., during a typhoon) develop very slowly, giving the clams sufficient time to react appropriately — they reduce the flow of water through their gills. But, in an aquarium, if the aquarist feeds the clam by applying particulate matter directly to the incurrent syphon of the clam with a pipette, the clam is unable to react the way it would in nature and the gills are overwhelmed and unable to rid themselves of the particulate matter.
To "direct" feed a clam, take the clam and attach it to a small rock or shell that is easily removed from the aquarium. Take the clam and rock and place in a small container of tankwater that is so full of phytoplankton it is green water. place the clam in this water for about 20 minutes or until the water is clear again. This is how you feed small clams. I have done this a couple times and my clam loves it. It is always much fuller after, as if to say thanks!

justinx

Certainly . . . . Tridancas are by far my favorite marine animal, and are the reason that I dove into this hobby in the first place. So, I have done my homework on these guys. Let me know if you have any more questions.
P.S. Make sure that you keep the water heated as the clam is feeding, SW can lose its temp rather quickly in small amounts. Also, and this is important, "burp" your clam before returning it to the tank. This is accomplished by gently rolling the clam around under water to release any trapped air inside the clam. If there is any, the clam will release it in this process.