New aggressive tank...

hocky98

My 75 gallon tank has finished cycling:cheer:
I traded 6 damsels in for a volitan lion and a wolf eel. They are so cool. I put them in last night and gave them a feeding of 4 fish this morning...they tore into them, so I guess they are content in my new tank. I'm trying to decide on a couple of tank mates. Some choices are a triger (not sure what type yet), a puffer (not sure on that type either), and a miniatus grouper. Any thought on them or any other mates. I plan to get a larger tank in the future.

liontamer

First off yer going a little fast. Its great that u finished cycling, but putting two large fish like that in there at once is gonna cause u some serious problems. I would bring one of them back for now and give the tank time to mature on the one fish u left in before putting a nother one in. You see, the tank needs to adapt to all of the...waste that the fish is putting out. Once it has created enough bacteria, then you should put other fish in. I usually wait a month b4 putting new fish in. I went with my volitan the first month, fuzzy dwarf the next, harlequin tusk the month after that, and now the eel. And im about ready for another fish next week. If you take things slow, everything will work out. Also, no miniatus. Tank is too small cuz they get to be like 2 feet long i believe. Brilliant fish though i must say.

hocky98

I took six 1" damsels and a 3" coral beauty out of the tank to make room for the fish I got. I figured that was enough to allow for the two fish. The lion is about 4 inches long and the eel is about 7 inches long. I also realize they eat alot more food! The miniatus grows to about 14 to 16 inches and will need a bigger tank, but I was looking to get a larger tank eventually anyway. Maybe I can wait for the new tank to introduce the grouper. I was not planning to add anymore fish for a while, but wanted input on some other great tankmates for the two I have.

cubfan

I'm OK with what you've got in there right now. I'd enjoy the lion and the eel for about 3-6 months before adding anything else, but that's just me. It took me 1-1/2 years just to get 2 fish and 3 coral frags in my reef!! (talk about taking it slow!)

liontamer

Not many other choices for tankmates with a 75 gallon like that. Id say maybe like...well, this is tough. Any good fish for that sized tank would get eaten by the lion or the eel, so uve got yerself in a tight spot. Its possible to have like a marine betta (some call them comets) they are real cool, and probably wont outgrow that tank. Maybe a small puffer, or a stars and stripes puffer. Lemonpeel angel? It has to be big enough not to fit in the lions mouth, and small enough to be comfortable in that tank.

reefeel

Just wanted to make sure you know that the wolf eel is not a true eel but a long dottyback. So you don't have to worry about treating it with copper if it gets sick-true eels have no scales.

liontamer

Originally posted by reefeel
Just wanted to make sure you know that the wolf eel is not a true eel but a long dottyback. So you don't have to worry about treating it with copper if it gets sick-true eels have no scales.

I just checked up on that, and that is amazing. I did not know that. Just, how does that pretain to this certain situation? lol. Anyway, thanx for the knowledge. Learn sumthing new every day....

hocky98

I did not know that either...thanks. I got him over the snowflake, because he does not hide all the time like a typical eel. I recommend anyone that has the tank to accomidate him to get a wolf eel...he is a very cool guy with tons of personality!
I feed them some feeder goldfish and purchased frozen prone to get them on. Any other feeding tips for these guys? I read from some, not to feed them freshwater fish, but many others say it is fine.
How about a niger or humu triger?

reefeel

I have a niger he is cool. He gets along with all my small fish and my eel, unless the trigger takes the eels food then watch out.

thangbom

hey bro.. i say if u r going to get a trigger get the clown trigger.. that is 1 bad azz.... so colorful but yet aggressive.... and how lon ghave u have your tank hocky ?? 1st 1.... there are wayz to introduce fishes into your tank that will not stress them.. ( group of aggressive stressed fish in a tank = fight)

hocky98

I would love to get a clown triger, but do you think all 3 fish will be ok together?
How often and what would you suggest I feed the eel and lion? Currently I feed them feeder goldfish and some frozen prawn.

thangbom

welll... i personally dont have all the fishes u have and not in that size of a tank...... i have a 155 w/ 5.5'' harlequin tusk, 5'' juvi emporor angel, 6.5 lunare wrass... 2 2.5 yellow mohack damsel thing and 1 2'' black/white perc.. clown..... ... my fishes dont really fight... not at all actually.. except for last bits of food... all i ever feeed them is frozen brine shrimp that i drop in warm water befor i feed them... then about once a month i feed them some shrimp... im still looking to get either a naso or a powder blue tang and a clown trigger still.........but prices right now are outragious..

fishy411

first off. NEVER feed feeder goldfish or any fw feeder . THey cause fatty liver disease. Triggers are sometimes nippers especially clown triggers which almost always are so triggers and lionfish dont go together.

thangbom

well.. i dont feed my fish feeder (small gold fish) .... only thing i feed my fish that are alive are there little cleare mini shrimp thingzz...... i catch them at the beach... they are about 3/4 inch long and have like lotz n lotz of eggz on there belly... they eath alge like crazy!!!! ... and they tast good w/rice if u fry them up w/ a lil salt n pepper....:)

fishy411

Originally posted by ThaNgBom
well.. i dont feed my fish feeder (small gold fish) .... only thing i feed my fish that are alive are there little cleare mini shrimp thingzz...... i catch them at the beach... they are about 3/4 inch long and have like lotz n lotz of eggz on there belly... they eath alge like crazy!!!! ... and they tast good w/rice if u fry them up w/ a lil salt n pepper....:)

ghost shrimp