New AI Hydra LED Fixture

sweatervest13

Looks like AquaIllumination has a new fixture on the market... The Hydra LED.
Here are some stats (copied from AquaNerd's blog).
Quote:
So, what’s the Hydra got to offer? For one, this new module sports seven distinct LED colors that include Cree XT-E Cool White, Osram Oslon Deep Red, Cree XP-E Green, Cree XT-E Royal Blue, Osram Oslon Very Deep Blue, SemiLED 415nm Violet, and Edison Opto 400nm UV. These LEDs are spread across four clusters, each containing five LEDs. The total power consumption is 95w. Comparatively, the AI Vega has around 20 color choices that are strictly made up of Cree and Osram Oslon emitters. The LEDs for the Vega are also spread across four clusters at the same power consumption.
He goes on to say that the MSRP should be around $399.00 per unit.
At that price I would consider these units (or rather, would have considered these units... I just bought LED fixtures this year so I will not be in the market for at least 2-3 years. LOL).
What do you guys think??

acrylic51

Sounds good, but honestly you'd have to look at the spectral plot or coverage of light spectrum from the Cree's used....That's why many DIY builds use different brands of LEDs to get the best of both worlds........Has the LEDs by Cree changed......

snakeblitz33

I've been looking at those bridgelux LED units like Evergrow and ReefBreeders... there's a lot of positive reviews going around. I've seen some videos but never seen one in person. I just think that with more LEDs you get more coverage and a better, more well lit tank to our eyes...
It's a neat little unit for $400 though. Still, China is cranking out some comparatively good ones for cheaper.

sweatervest13

Shoot, you both know that I have the Evergrow Lighting Co, units from China. So, I am biased towards them. I feel that the decent quality and design that they put into them while keeping the costs down has pushed the higher end companies to add more value to their fixtures.
It is a interesting time in SW tank lighting. There are a lot of companies flooding the market with all types of fixtures (T5, MH, LED, and all the hybrids). And it takes a somewhat savvy reefer to know good from bad... And cost does play a big part (at least to me). For example the D120's from Evergrow and even the Photon's don't use the premium LED didoes (they use bridgelux and some older Cree's), but they do pack a lot into a unit and this helps them compete with the high end guys. So for the price, I would recommend getting a D120 with a full spectrum layout vs an AI Sol. And at this point as far as costs goes I would go for a Photon unit or two vs a Gen 1 Radion's.
The thing that I keep thinking about is... When is a good time to buy??? Meaning that it is obvious that the LED technology is improving (and hopefully that is pushing the price down) so a year or two from now there will be better cheaper units available (think about those flat screen HDTV's about 7 years ago and just how much they cost). So should one wait to buy? Or, should you take advantage of the technology now?? Every reefer needs to make that choice on their own. I know for me (just like the flat panel HDTV's) I would rather come in and buy a bit earlier and enjoy the technology now!!
Energy savings and bulb replacement is what pushed me over the edge to purchase LED's this year (January 2013). I cut my energy consumption in half switching to LED's and removed bulb replacement completely from the equation. I spent $900.00 on two Photon's and with some quick math I calculate that I should recoup the cost in a few years compared to my old MH, T5 combo units.
As for coral growth... I would say that I am happy with how they preform. I aspire to keep a SPS, LPS mixed reef. Some do well and some don't. I have a few white skeletons to show my failures, but a few growing colonies to show my success. But I feel that at this point it is more of a stability issue than lighting. I would love to get my hands on a PAR meter to measure the output of these units.

acrylic51

It comes down to a little more than appealing and appeasing to our eyes IMHO. The off brands are good don't het me wrong but bottom line they have just as many so so reviews as the other units. For the price a good deal but limiting I think as far as "real" control ability as far as off the shelf controllers. Using an Apex just as an on off timer doesn't give minute control as I'd like to see.
Just because Par numbers are decent doesn't necessarily make the unit totally efficient. Do those emitters actually cover the complete spectrum as efficiently as other brands? That were the comparison differs. Certain emitters have been proven better than others in that area.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/395549/new-ai-hydra-led-fixture#post_3521860
It comes down to a little more than appealing and appeasing to our eyes IMHO. The off brands are good don't het me wrong but bottom line they have just as many so so reviews as the other units. For the price a good deal but limiting I think as far as "real" control ability as far as off the shelf controllers. Using an Apex just as an on off timer doesn't give minute control as I'd like to see.
Just because Par numbers are decent doesn't necessarily make the unit totally efficient. Do those emitters actually cover the complete spectrum as efficiently as other brands? That were the comparison differs. Certain emitters have been proven better than others in that area.
100% agree. There are emitters that are proven better then others. For me that's where the cost came into play. A Ferrari will out preform a Corvette, but you pay a lot more for the Ferrari. Me... I have to buy the Fiero....

snakeblitz33

100% agree.  There are emitters that are proven better then others.  For me that's where the cost came into play.  A Ferrari will out preform a Corvette, but you pay a lot more for the Ferrari.  Me... I have to buy the Fiero....
and im stuck with a 20 year old buick. Lol.

2quills

I have a set coming next week. For the price I feel they will be worth a shot. And yes they are using XT-E (70 CRI) whites now vs the XM-L's with the addition of U.V. The fixture seems to give the most coverage across the spectrum that A.I. has produced thus far.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/395549/new-ai-hydra-led-fixture#post_3528467
I have a set coming next week. For the price I feel they will be worth a shot. And yes they are using XT-E (70 CRI) whites now vs the XM-L's with the addition of U.V. The fixture seems to give the most coverage across the spectrum that A.I. has produced thus far.
I have heard good things on the Hydra's. They should do well on top of your tank. Make sure to post up some pics!!

2quills

I have heard good things on the Hydra's.  They should do well on top of your tank.  Make sure to post up some pics!!
Will do. Yep, I feel like the time has finally arived where we are seeing some decent value for the price. At this rate I'm finding it a little tough to build something comparable for anything significantly cheaper.
The main reason I am going with A.I. is because they have stuck with a particular platform and have worked to keep improving on it. I like that the fixture is all heatsink. And I think they would be the easiest to modify years down the road and do a little diy on if I ever felt the need.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/395549/new-ai-hydra-led-fixture#post_3528481
Will do. Yep, I feel like the time has finally arived where we are seeing some decent value for the price. At this rate I'm finding it a little tough to build something comparable for anything significantly cheaper.
The main reason I am going with A.I. is because they have stuck with a particular platform and have worked to keep improving on it. I like that the fixture is all heatsink. And I think they would be the easiest to modify years down the road and do a little diy on if I ever felt the need.
Yup. I agree. The amount of time and money these companies have put into R&D for LED's is way up there, so the costs have been high. But now that LED lighting has really taken off I feel that those companies see that their investment will pay off now that it has been accepted as good alternative to MH and T5 technology. People will start converting over as they see earlier adopters having success, than volume discounts will kick in as well as competition to drive down the price. Hopefully it will be like the HDTV's... They first were on sale for sky high prices for a 40" flat screen, now you can buy a better flat screen for a lot less.
Super glad you got the tank up and kicking Corey!!! I can't wait to see it all filled up and growing out.

2quills

Hydra's came in yesterday. Initial impressions so far are pretty good.

I need to make something for the fixtures to sit on so that they don't get knocked into the tank. Think I'm going to use some acrylic sheet attached to the top of the canopy for the lights to sit on and then I'll make some cut outs around the actual pucks.

tur4k

How are these working out for you? I ordered a pair of them that should arrive on Thursday.

2quills

So far so good. I can't say anything for long term success yet but the livestock that I do have looks really good. Happy with the color and controllability. I have two units over a 120g long tank mounted 13" above the surface and have no spotlighting effect at all. You might get a little disco effect depending on how you set them.

tthemadd1

Going to LFS today. She just got a few sets in after the conference and is setting two sets up on her frag tanks. I'll have to take some pictures an post

2quills

Yep, I've got some more pics over on my build thread, I'll try to re post some of them over here tonight.

tur4k

My Hydra's were scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I checked tracking on the package when I got back to work from lunch and saw "Out for early delivery". I immediately packed up my laptop and rushed home. I'll finish my work day from here. Can't wait for Mr. UPS man to bring me my shiny new toys.

tur4k

The Hydra's have been hung. I played with them a little last night. They don't look to be nearly as bright as my T5 blue pluses. I'm guessing that this is just a difference between T5's and LEDs. I'm not sure how high to set them. I have two hydra's hanging 8 inches off of the water on a 48 x 18 x 24 standard 90G. I'm starting off around 50% and adjusting the individual colors from there. So many options...

tur4k

Don't used the USB power adapter that comes with the controller. It's crap and causes most button pushes to register twice. Swap it out with a USB power adapter from a cell phone and the controller will work much better. I'm using a USB power adapter that came with my wireless mouse. Works great.