New Anemone Question??

bigpapa

I just got my first anemone yesterday. It is a long tip anemone that I have placed in my 24 gallon aquapod. He seems to get "blown" around a bit. I know they will move till they find a spot they like. Should I turn off the powerhead till he finds a spot?--keeping in mind that the ph is the filtration for the pod as well. I have tried redirecting the flow but he almost seems well as light as a bubble..
This is him/her?.. dam please excuse my algae I apparently have

invertcrazy

The anemone looks bleached. I understand you just got it yesterday but without the right kind of lights(T5 or Mh) its not going to last very long. It may be a good idea to spot feed it with the food soaked in a vitamin(selcon or zoecon)
What kind of lights do you have and how long is your tank been set up??
One more thing , if the anemone is still roaming you need to cover all powerheads and intake tubes so the anemone don't get sucked in.
Lta's(long tentacle anemones) prefer sand to attach its foot.

bigpapa

I have had the tank set up for about 8 months.
I have the stock lights on it but will have a MH on it on wed
Its a aquapod so there really is no intake tube or powerhead--except for the flow back into the tank for the filtration.

invertcrazy

on the Mh on Wed.
As for trying to get it attached, I think it has to do it on its own. You could try to put it in an area where the flow is a little less or in an opening between 2 rocks but if it's not happy there it's going to move.
If there is any way you can lower the flow coming out of the powerhead but then again you're messin with the filtration. I think it's a try this and try that situation. A roaming anemone can sting any corals as it touches them, if you have any. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some different ideas for you

bigpapa

Originally Posted by InvertCrazy
http:///forum/post/2742386
on the Mh on Wed.
As for trying to get it attached, I think it has to do it on its own. You could try to put it in an area where the flow is a little less or in an opening between 2 rocks but if it's not happy there it's going to move.
If there is any way you can lower the flow coming out of the powerhead but then again you're messin with the filtration. I think it's a try this and try that situation. A roaming anemone can sting any corals as it touches them, if you have any. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some different ideas for you
yeah, no corals in this tank and it is tough to keep out of flow as the aquapod is basically a whirlpool with the flow on one side and the suction on the other. just seems to be the smallest flow floats him around..

bigpapa

You would be correct!! I kinda gave him a bit of a nudge into an inclosed spot and he settled right in.
Thanks for all the help!!

bigpapa

Ok, so I got the MH yesterday and installed it last night. I have a coralife clip on and used the 14k. It is 150 watts and is about 8-10" above the water surface . My LTA is at the bottom of the aquapod and that is about another I think 18" deep so I didnt think he would need much acclimation. I also have a 10k and 20k butlb if that helps. The light came on at 9 and my little clowns are upset cause the anemone is only showing his back side now cause he hid.. :( lol. I turned off the light as I know they need to adjust to the MH but should I just leave it on and let him come out?? how can I help with the acclimation???

invertcrazy

Bigpapa- Glad to hear you got the Mh's
Although I have T5's on my 55 and 30 long, I think you will be ok with the Mh's. Just keep an eye on the water temp as the Mh gives off more heat. you might have to get one of those small clip on fans to blow across the top of the water.
I also think the anemone will be fine, just give it a couple days to get use to the new lights. If you don't have a timer, it might be a good idea to pick one up so your lights will come on and go off the same time everyday.
just my .02

bigpapa

All is good. 1st, the mh I have is one of the coralife 150s that is a clip on- so, no real heat exchange to speak of. But just incase it does have its own little fan. 2nd, I put in the 20k bulb and he seems to love it. I may try to ween him into the 14k but for now I just want everyone happy and stable for a bit.

bigpapa

Originally Posted by bigleman
http:///forum/post/2746289
wow, i wish i could get my clown to pay attention to my LTA!!!

Mine seemed to go for it within the first 24hrs. On a side note, today when I had to move one of the rocks one of the clowns had the nerve to bite my finger thinking I got too close to there anemone!! Little bugger... lol

invertcrazy

Originally Posted by Bigpapa
http:///forum/post/2747019
All is good. 1st, the mh I have is one of the coralife 150s that is a clip on- so, no real heat exchange to speak of. But just incase it does have its own little fan. 2nd, I put in the 20k bulb and he seems to love it. I may try to ween him into the 14k but for now I just want everyone happy and stable for a bit.
Glad to hear everything is working out