New Anemones

rt101

Good day

I just received my first 2 anemones.
They are both on one piece of live rock.
I have a view questions about them if someone can help please?

1 Can someone identify the species?
2 Will they defiantly move?
3 If they move, will they kill my coral. ( Torch, toad stool, Xenia, Devils hand, acan)
4 Might it kill my other Inverts and fish? ( Fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, feather dusters, Clownish, Cardinals, Scopus tang)
5 Can i feed them Krill, Mysis and artemia

10654152_10203935413123987_1012173325_n.jpg

candaceswf

Administrator
1. They look like long tentacle anemones, but I can't be 100% sure.
2. They could move, doesn't mean they definitely will.
3. Anemones have stinging cells, if they move next to a coral and their tentacles are touching it, then it could kill the coral.
4. For the above reason, yes, they can kill inverts. They won't hunt for the inverts, but if one decides to sit on the anemones, they could consume the invert. I'm not sure if it would be the same for the fish, definitely not the clownfish, but I think the fish will stay away from them for the most part.
5. Yes, you can feed them krill, etc. They are photosynthetic, but also benefit from feedings of meaty varieties.

rt101

He just split in 3. 2 pieces looks very good but the third one not so good.
The tenticals are still extended but it looks like a plant that did not get water.
the tenticals are stringy and hanging.

candaceswf

Administrator
Wow! Sometimes they deflate, but could still be ok... if it starts melting get it out ASAP! Best way is with a siphon so the particles don't get everywhere, they're toxic to your aquarium when they're dead. If it's not melting though, then I would just give it some time.

geridoc

1. They look like long tentacle anemones, but I can't be 100% sure.
2. They could move, doesn't mean they definitely will.
3. Anemones have stinging cells, if they move next to a coral and their tentacles are touching it, then it could kill the coral.
4. For the above reason, yes, they can kill inverts. They won't hunt for the inverts, but if one decides to sit on the anemones, they could consume the invert. I'm not sure if it would be the same for the fish, definitely not the clownfish, but I think the fish will stay away from them for the most part.
5. Yes, you can feed them krill, etc. They are photosynthetic, but also benefit from feedings of meaty varieties.
Take a look here at the third posting to see what happens when an invert comes too close to a RBT.

RobP

I have an anemone similiar and it would start moving from the left portion of the tank towards the right and I would move him back to the left (I keep most my coral to the right side) and finally it moved up real high in the tank and hasn't moved in a long time. I think it finely found the flow and light it likes. I make sure to feed it regularily so it dosen't have to go an dfind food. Good luck,