New Aquarium - Cycling Question

topshotta

First off - I want to say hello as I'm new to the board.
I just acquired an Oceanic 135 gallon tank today. I've been out of the hobby for about 5 or 6 years so I have a few questions. I'm thinking of purchasing the CPR CR1000 Wet/Dry Filter for the aquarium. In addition I already have a fairly large Eheim cannister filter that I planned on using for some mechanical filtration. I'm going to keep a fairly non-aggressive/non-photosynthetic fish/invert tank and plan on doing all fairly small fish. I was thinking of cycling the tank with 6 sm. blue chromis, 3 sm. yellow tangs, and 3 small percula clowns. Do you think that is too much fish to cycle and do you think these species are all hardy enough to handle the cycling? Many thanks - I'm sure my questions will grow as time progresses.

1journeyman

Welcome to the boards.
Don't cycle with fish. Instead, set the tank up with some live rock. If you have the rock shipped to you it will provide all the ammonia you need to cycle the tank.
Research your fish purchases in that time. Your current choices will be problematic.

topshotta

Originally Posted by FireRescue
oh well i guess i type too slow. Also you do not want to have 3 clowns.
Why? - in the past I had 3 ocellaris and they did very well together.

topshotta

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Welcome to the boards.
Don't cycle with fish. Instead, set the tank up with some live rock. If you have the rock shipped to you it will provide all the ammonia you need to cycle the tank.
Research your fish purchases in that time. Your current choices will be problematic.
How many pounds of rock would you recommend. I have about 175# of tufa fock. The lighting on this tank is only going to be some flourescent bulbs. I'm not planning on anything photosynthetic.
What is probelmatic about my current fish choices?

triga22

You can have 2 clowns not 3. The 2 will pair and kill the other 1. Three yellows wont fit.

firerescue

I didn't think that was mean. You could have just deleted the begining, the rest was actual good info. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Y

yeffre kix

:happyfish Don't cycle with fish. :happyfish
The live rock suggestion from Journeyman is the way to go.
Even if your not planning on adding corals, live rock provides good filtration and a natural looking habitat for a fish only tank.
When the bug hits for a reef tank you'll be on your way.
Over the next 6 weeks or so while your tank is cycling you should research fish for swimming space needs and compatability.

topshotta

My only concern with using live rock is the need for lighting. I'm only using 4 36" flo bulbs on this tank.

Y

yeffre kix

I would recomend stronger lighting. However, flourescents will be sufficient for fish only. You'll still get algae and coraline growth.
MH lights give a very attractive, natural look to the tank.
I know that upgraded lighting is very expensive. In initial cost as well as electrical usage.

psufan43

I have always used use damsels and live rock to cycle tanks, 3 yellow tangs, might not be wise though, in a newly established tank.

Y

yeffre kix

Originally Posted by psufan43
I have always used use damsels and live rock to cycle tanks.
:thinking:
Well...damsels will work for cycling but it is very hard on the fish because the water goes through toxic stages as the biological filter is established. You have to purchase these fish ( even if it's just a few bucks ).

Raw coctail shrimp will give the desired effect and you won't have nasty territorial fish in your tank afterwords.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by FireRescue
I didn't think that was mean. You could have just deleted the begining, the rest was actual good info. Sorry if I offended anyone.
no worries, I just read it to be a bit harsh and figured if it came across mean to me it would come across that way to others.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ShortBlondeRN
raw shrimp? I saw someone else say something about shrimp...what does it do?

A "cycle" is based on bacteria builing up in a tank to process ammonia>nitrite>nitrate>nitrogen and oxygen gasses.
What damsels do is produce waste (ammonia). So the kick off the cycle by providing a steady source of ammonia. A rotting shrimp will do the same thing. So will using uncured live rock, or even adding a pinch of fish food every couple of days.
Damsels die in cycles. As hobbyists we need to eliminate their use as sacrificial lambs. Pet stores sell them to cycle tanks because they are cheap and stores figure people don't ant to look at an empty tank for a month. That's sad. If you can't wait a month to add fish you've picked the wrong hobby. Go down to the nearest software store and buy a SWF screen saver...

Y

yeffre kix

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Go down to the nearest software store and buy a SWF screen saver...

Hey! I LIKE my saltwater screen saver

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by Yeffre Kix

Hey! I LIKE my saltwater screen saver

Hahaha me too.