New Atlantic Anemone - Does he sting?

Z

zandriab

I just bought a "atlantic anemone" from my LFS yesterday. He informed me that I was not at risk of him stinging my fish, but I thought I would research it anyway.
I have had my tank for about 2 years now, but have never tried an anemone before and therefore know absolutely nothing about them.
The name the LFS gave this one was just an "atlantic anemone". It is pretty purple in color, pretty much the whole arm too, not just the tip, although the picture shows him as mostly white.
Currently I have 4 fish, a longnose butterfly, flame angel, blue tang, and a clown, as well as one cleaner shimp and 20 or so blue and zebra crabs. Are any of these in danger?
I have attatched two pictures for identifying "him"
Thanks for you input!

wocka

i dont think he/her should sting. ive touched haitan anemones, bubble tip, strawberry,atlanticand no reaction just a little sticky

wocka

IMO u should take out the longnose butterfly and the flame angel. thats a small tank for them to live in.

johnny5

That looks like a condy (Condylactis) to me. They are pretty easy to keep, but beware because they like to roam. I feed with silversides, squid, krill, brine, and fresh seafood every once and awhile.
Here is a pic of mine, this is an old pic tho (3 months or so ago). Mine almost doubled in size and has gotten quite a bit darker.
Btw, they will eat fish if they get to close. Mine has not, but I will grab anything it touches.
Watch out for the tang police too, that regal/hippo will outgrow your tank.

Z

zandriab

I have 130 Watts 50/50. Works out to about 4 watts per gallon which they said would be okay. I also placed him dirrectly under one light about 1/2 way up to be safe.
P.S. you'll all jump on me for this, but I had these four fish in a 20 gallon for one year, and they've been in this one for about one more. Until 2 months or so ago I actually had 2 more fish as well, another clown and a bicolor blenny (both small), but I got ich with a temperature swing from some hot weather and lost them.

viper_930

I do not believe orcas are reefsafe. :D
The only thing I see bad is that the anemone is bleached. It has lost all its zooxanthelae from being under inadequate lighting for too long. Hand feed it every other day with a small piece of shrimp, fish, or whatever else you feed your fish. In a few months it should get a light brown tint from regaining zooxanthelae.

viper_930

Condy anemones are actually not natural hosts for any clownfish species. Clownfish are from the pacific ocean and anemones are from the atlantic.

killafins

u have had fish for two years, have that bioload and yet u plan to add an anenome, an animal that is said that if u keep him for five years ur an expert when they live for centuries in the wild? My recommendation, say good bye to it, find it a home.
Here's a few numbers to think about....
***50 percent of anenome's bought are dead within three months.
***5 percent of experienced hobbyists (2 or more yers of experience) had managed to keep an anenome for at least two years. Meaning 95 percent have failed.
1 in 13 anenomes are said to survive for three or more years.... 1 out of 32 will survieve five or more years. These are even worst and very upsetting numbers.
***Now with these animals, 5 years is considered success (which is quite sad) because in nature a clown hosting anenome can live past a couple hundred years. So around 5 years, the anenome is still considered an infant. THe reason why they survive so long is the wild is cause they only grow old when natural disaster, disease or something along those lines happen.
***Now, here's even a worst number... less than 3 percent of anenome's sold have ever made it to age 5...
***To put this all in prospective... these numbers compared to humans.... growing a child to one year would be considered complete success...
All of this information was from a very informative magazine labeled Tropical Fish hobbyist... i majorly paraprhased but the statistics were studied.... the writer of this article on anenome's was Rob Toonen, PH. D doing the ASK THE REEFER column

rbmount

Originally posted by wocka
IMO u should take out the longnose butterfly and the flame angel. thats a small tank for them to live in.

And the Hippo! Your tank is too small for just one of those fish alone.

wocka

i was at my LFS and saw a 1" baby hippo it was so cute i wanted to get it untill i remembered how big they get