New Biocube 29

glasta

I think im ganna go for just some simple corals and eather im ganna make it a sea horse breading pen or get all the pretty bright color fish the g/f wants me to get.

pappa d

heres the newest addition to my tank. i was originally planning on waiting for about a month to add another fish but i saw this guy and couldn't resist him. his colors are the most beautiful i've ever seen on any pinkspotted shrimp gobys, better than any picture from the books i have on them. but unfortunatly my camera sucks and it really doesnt do him justice but here he is:

pappa d

i want to but do you know if you were suppose to introduce them at the same time? plus it says he will eat ornimental shrimp.....well either way first i have to get rid of my coral banded shrimp

clay12340

Pistols are hit or miss with shrimp gobies. I've seen them pair up when added at the same time or after. I've also seen a pistol kill the goby when it came near it. I've also seen them completely ignore each other as well. It is cool to see when it happens.

pappa d

cool, i might give it a try after i get rid of my cbs. have you, or anyone else for that matter, ever had a pinkspotted shrimp goby?? i dont think he burrows does he? he has been perching on the rocks and on top of the sand /using the rocks as little caves but he hasnt dug through the sand making an actual burrow yet and i hope he doesn't to tell you the truth. i want him to stay out in the open!

dksart

Pistol Shrimp - Synalpheus
Color: The Pistol Shrimp has a varied color.
Size: The Pistol Shrimp may grow to 2 inches.
Diet: Carnivore.
Feeding: It likes to eat eats meaty bits of seafood, and detritus.
Behavior: The Synalpheus species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates.
Care: Many consider the Synalpheus species a low-maintenance specimen. Not venomous.
General notes: The Pistol shrimp is best know for the symbiotic relationship in which it shares with shrimp gobies. Will eat most any food. This shrimp is usually heard and rarely seen as the 'snapping' sound is the shrimps way of warding off any nosey trespassers into it's burrow. It makes this sound with a special appendage and can punch holes in crustacean exoskeletons. Most Invertebrates, including shrimp require very long and slow drip acclimation process of at least 2 hours as they cannot adjust quickly to even small changes in pH, temperature, alkalinity and other parameters. Like all snails, this species is intolerant of extreme nitrate levels (over 20) and cannot live in tanks that have had copper-based medications dispensed.
Water parameters: Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Origin: The Pistol Shrimp is commonly collected from Indo-Pacific.

R

reefernana

Pappa D, I finally uploaded some pictures of my tank with my newly added live rock. I couldn't believe how long it took me to re-acquascape it this past Sat. I'll show you a before and after. It will be 2 mos old on the 1st. Still no fish yet, but if I find the maroon clown I want I'm getting it. The rest is listed in my first post above.

R

reefernana

Pappa D, I finally uploaded some pictures of my tank with my newly added live rock. I couldn't believe how long it took me to re-acquascape it this past Sat. I'll show you a before and after. It will be 2 mos old on the 1st. Still no fish yet, but if I find the maroon clown I want I'm getting it.

Before

Now

Just a little difference, huh, lol! Hard to believe in those shots, but there are actually over 50 ilyannasa snails in there under the sand (well, I guess there's a couple on the glass, too). Also, have three hermits, a peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab. Slowly, but surely it's getting there......

Here's my three little corals.

pappa d

that looks great!! man, i wish i still had my maroon clown i just got rid of him before i did this tank. he was a great fish the only thing is i think that they might get too agressive especially in this small of a tank. but, besides that everything else looks good. i like the little frags and the aquascaping looks alot cooler. keep up the good work

R

reefernana

Thanks, it's amazing how into it you get to try and get that just right look. Especially when you can't buy all the rock at the same time. I've got about 26 lbs now so I think that's enough. It's mostly Kaelini, 1 Pukani, and some little Totoka's. I heard that they the maroons are a little more aggressive, too, but I really only plan on maybe a blennie or goby, a royal gramma and a purple fire fish, so hopefully I think they can all hang with a maroon. Maybe I should get him last so he doesn't think he owns the tank right off.........lol!

pappa d

Originally Posted by reefernana
Thanks, it's amazing how into it you get to try and get that just right look. Especially when you can't buy all the rock at the same time. I've got about 26 lbs now so I think that's enough. It's mostly Kaelini, 1 Pukani, and some little Totoka's. I heard that they the maroons are a little more aggressive, too, but I really only plan on maybe a blennie or goby, a royal gramma and a purple fire fish, so hopefully I think they can all hang with a maroon. Maybe I should get him last so he doesn't think he owns the tank right off.........lol!
yeah i would definatly add him last if you plan on one. mine was agressive enough to share a home with a dogface puffer fish and would actually try to steal his food from him at times!!!
. But, they are a fish with great personality and one of the prettiest clown fish in my opinion

pappa d

Originally Posted by fish addict
I love your aquascaping!

Also I love your pink spotted goby! He's so cute!
thanks! it really doesn't look like much rock at all in that tank but i just tried adding two pieces of coral from my tank upstairs today and i didn't even know where i should put them because i felt like everything was already in its place and i didn't want to lose the look that i set up heh. i'll put the update pics up tomorrow for you to see, and glad you like my new goby too! he's so pretty!

pappa d

does anyone know what those last pollyps are. they were my first coral about a year ago and my lfs misabled them as sun coral. i have yet to find out what they are.