New Biocube 29

directvguy

I just setup a new biocube 29. I used RO/DI water, 55 pounds of live sand and about 15 pounds of Cured premium live rock from the lfs. I finished the setup last night. When I woke up this morning the water looks good now.
My Parameters are as follows.
Ammonia 8 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 0 PPM
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.019
Any and all suggestions are very welcome....This is our first attempt at a reef tank. We have been sucessfull with a couple diffrent freshwater tanks.I have seen some post about cycling with a piece of shrimp. Does anyone have experience with this?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by DIRECTVGUY
http:///forum/post/2917369
I just setup a new biocube 29. I used RO/DI water, 55 pounds of live sand and about 15 pounds of Cured premium live rock from the lfs. I finished the setup last night. When I woke up this morning the water looks good now.
My Parameters are as follows.
Ammonia 8 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 0 PPM
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.019
Any and all suggestions are very welcome....This is our first attempt at a reef tank. We have been sucessfull with a couple diffrent freshwater tanks.I have seen some post about cycling with a piece of shrimp. Does anyone have experience with this?
You don't need to add any shrimp, you have quite a bit of ammonia...just let it cycle itself. I'm actually surprised you have that much ammonia. You will need more LR...at least 15 pounds

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/2917395
They were charging $12 per pound at the LFS. so I am going to order some online. Thanks for the advice!!
WOW! 12 dollars!!!! That's insane. I just got the best liverock I've ever seen for 4.50 and it too was cured. You don't have to get all of that 15+ pounds live...you can get some base rock too because it will eventually turn into live rock.

joe____17

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2917398
WOW! 12 dollars!!!! That's insane. I just got the best liverock I've ever seen for 4.50 and it too was cured. You don't have to get all of that 15+ pounds live...you can get some base rock too because it will eventually turn into live rock.
Whats base rock?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by joe____17
http:///forum/post/2917402
Whats base rock?
base rock is just porous marine safe rock. It is "dead" live rock. You can buy it at most lfs's and some online stores. The live rock in your tank will eventually seed it. I get a couple big pieces and lay a foundation for my tank.

brian_wis

Take things slow Joe let it cycle,If ammonia gets over 50 I myself would do a small water change of 4gallons, then just do small water changes like 3-4 gollons every 5-6 days after its done cycleing, small tanks can turn ugly quick.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Brian

brian_wis

Take things slow DIRECTVGUY let it cycle,If ammonia gets over 50 I myself would do a small water change of 4gallons, then just do small water changes like 3-4 gollons every 5-6 days after its done cycleing, small tanks can turn ugly quick.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Brian

directvguy

I came home from work and checked things out tonight. My live rock appears to have some purple mushroom looking things growing and some light green stuff that looks like an orange peel only lime green. I tested the water and the results are as follows.
Ammonia 0.50 ppm
nitrite 0.0 ppm
nitrate 5.0 ppm
ph 7.8
salinity is still 1.016 I plan on pulling some of the water out tomorrow and adding more mix!
Temp 82
Any suggestions?

brian_wis

http:///forum/post/2919384
I came home from work and checked things out tonight. My live rock appears to have some purple mushroom looking things growing and some light green stuff that looks like an orange peel only lime green. I tested the water and the results are as follows.
Ammonia 0.50 ppm
nitrite 0.0 ppm
nitrate 5.0 ppm
ph 7.8
salinity is still 1.016 I plan on pulling some of the water out tomorrow and adding more mix!
Temp 82
Any suggestions?
Looks to me as you stated its time for a water change, try and get your salinity up asap to 1.025...I would be more worried about the ammonia before nitrate and do water changes every time there's a reading of ammonia seeing there's a couple corals in your tank. Congrads on the freebies

directvguy

Today me and the boys went to the LFS and picked up 10 pounds of live rock that look like they have some pink coraline on them. We also got a koralia 1. I figured couldn't hurt to add more flow. Here are some crude pics....guess I have a thing or two to learn about aquarium photography...lol

directvguy

by the way the second pic is what I think are dark purple mushrooms. Any feedback would help...alot! I'll try to get a better pick of them tomorrow!!

pax

I think it's all coraline algaw growing on your rock - looks good! I set my first nano reef up in July and started very slow - especially since Hurricane Ike came through here - it's addictive! and gets expensive! BTW the highest i have seen live rock here in Houston is $6/lb and I got some really nice live rock on line ---- for around $3 shipping included.
Good success with your tank!

shyfish

Hi,
Your #2 picture shows a red color! I think its the same stuff I have on my rocks, I have a thread going trying to figure out if it is good or bad. Mine started out just a few spots and now it is everywhere.
Take a look and see what you think. Is it the same? My red color isn't slimmy but hard and crusty like part of the rock.

directvguy

I have noticed some small green bubbles on my live rock. I think they are bubble algae. Any suggestions on what to do with them?