New brand of salt being sold.....from China

chipmaker

The local ***** has a new import brand of aquarium salt. Its roughly half the price of the IO and Oceanic salts so I am told, and its made and imported from China. I inquired about it today at the local *****, and all they could tell me was that yes, they will have a import salt and its much cheaper than typical used brands they normally carry......but no one could remember the name. Anyone know or have any info on this so called imported china made salt mix? They were still awaitin g shipment for what the initially ordered so no one there actually put eyeballs on any of this salt mix.

unleashed

I have no clue but I recently swicthed to seachem reef salt and in a matter of 24 hrs my corals looked better thay had ever looked while using IO

unleashed

Originally Posted by Eclipse715
Instant Ocean is the worst.
I have to agree but it took me a long time to find something available at MY lfs I had just read an ad about seachem ina reefing magezine just by chance my LFS had just got some in when i had asked him if he could order it for me.i was happy he already got his shipment in.ps it wasnt cheeper but it was worth the extra IMO

fallnhorse

i don't think that your salt mix is a place to cut your budget. Plus i try to avoid products from china if possible some how i still like to try to spend my money in america.

chipmaker

Well I for one certainly will not be one to try it out. Not saying i will not use it but its gonna be after quite a long time and seeing with my own eyes and reading on how it ha worked out for others first..I do not like being a guinea pig in any shape form or fashion. I only made the post as I am interested and curious about this new import salt.....
Now as to not likeing to buy from China, your 10% right or buy form most ny other country as well, but that option seems to be getting harder and harder to work every day...........The selection and choice anymore is very slim if your looking for those red white and blue labels stating proudly made in the USA.
I bought a brand new John Deere tractor a few years back......John Deere, the great american icon.yea right....It was assembled in the usa, but nothing was actually made n the usa. MOtor was from france, fuel system from Pakistan, Electrical from England, Tires from Korea, frame wa made in Mexico most 8instruments and other stuff as such was made in china or any other country other than the USA.......but the big sticker on it, stated proudly "assembled" by americans of approved quality engineered JOhn Deere parts.......Yea, right! Oh and I had nothing but troubles with that tractor, and eventually wound up in court over it, so I could get my money back, as it wa broke all the time. Certianly not a suitable piece of equipment to operate a business with....Now I wonder why they dropped that model tractor.........hmmmmmmm?

dragonboy

Hmmmmmm........Salt from china I would guess this salt is mostly likely not as good. But it will be interesting to see how it compares to the salt we have. If it is any good I wouldn't mind paying for something cheaper since our hobby already cost an arm and leg already.

A

arsanc

While we are on the discussion of salt.....any opinions about Corallife? I just recently saw the seachem salt and will probably get that next go around.....

B

barkdog

Whats wrong with instant ocean? I never really thought about salt before. I've always used instant ocean. Should I switch to something else? I only use it because its readily available.

chipmaker

Why switch if its working for you. The old salt war is like Ford better than Chevy....thats why there is more than one brand of salt, car, pumps, tanks, etc etc...IMNSBO there is nothing wrong with IO salt. It is perfectly adequate for 99% of anyones needs.........but let a bad rumor fly and their sales go to heck from speculation.

robchuck

Originally Posted by Eclipse715
Instant Ocean is the worst.
Would you care to elaborate why you feel this way about IO?
IO was my primary salt brand from the 80's until I switched to Oceanic in 2003 (due to it's blend being more suitable to my reef's inhabitants; better magnesium and calcium levels) and I never had any issues with it. In fact, it's still my standby if I can't get any Oceanic salt, though it does require a few changes in the additives routine for a few days.

moneyman

Originally Posted by RobChuck
Would you care to elaborate why you feel this way about IO?
IO was my primary salt brand from the 80's until I switched to Oceanic in 2003 (due to it's blend being more suitable to my reef's inhabitants; better magnesium and calcium levels) and I never had any issues with it. In fact, it's still my standby if I can't get any Oceanic salt, though it does require a few changes in the additives routine for a few days.
I found one article in the use group from broomer that Kent uses IO has its base. The article is dated. Is it true? Has it ever been true?