New bulb - whatcha think?

denisec

Man this is a money hungry hobby! I just can't seem to stop myself. I bought a Fr20t12 Super Actinic bulb to go with my 75 watt white bulb. Now the tank looks purplish blue. The guy at the LFS who seemed to really know his stuff said that it was the best single bulb I could buy. He said it would be enough light to keep a condylactis alive and that my tomato clown might like to live in it, sound right to ya'll? How empressive a bulb is this? Is it kinda ho hum or is it a good bulb (as far as a normal light hood setup goes? Does this mean I can keep some corals now?

scy

Hello Denise,I have tryed a lot of bulbs and i feel these bulbs are the best too...

pufferlover

Denise; There are so many bulbs out there it is scary. Since I have a lot of tanks and change all my bulbs once a year (twice on the rref) I have to watch for a good buy. Now as far as one actinic and one white I do that on many of my tanks (I like the subdued effect it gives, plus in my fo tanks it keeps algae growth down a bit I find). If it is price that concerns you next time check out the new GE fish tank bulbs they are the ones I have bought the last time around and I like them and the price is right.

denisec

I guess what I am after is knowing if it is a good bulb to keep some "easy" corals alive or even a condylactis.

perps

AS for bulbs I have so far tried the 50/50 And i kinda like it.. had it in the tank for about 2 1/2 months.. Last week i got a dayoght 10k bulb.. which kinda needed to get use to.. but it's ok.. In a couple more months i'm gonna switchs bulbs again!