New Canister Filter

rkmcinvale

My husband and I want to purchase a canister filter for a 55 gallon. Any suggestions as to which brand or type we should buy? Or any other specifics that we may need to know.

maeistero

if it's for saltwater it's more trouble than it's worth new. a refugium or sump will do a lot better for a little bit more. i use cannisters like many people that have changed over from freshwater tanks just because they're there. i find that i'd rather use hob filters due to the fact that they're easier to check up on and change. still i wouldn't use them if i didn't just have them lying around. it's much cheaper in the long run to set up a sump, wet/dry or buy more lr.
if you still would like to get one, i've never had problems with the larger fluvals (304,404). i've a few cascades that are awesome also, although they're harder to hook up. just make sure that you have everything in order before you start pumping
i keep mine in a rubbermaid container now when first starting them anything can go haywire.

rkmcinvale

This is for a saltwater tank. I already have a wet/dry system, a mechanical filter, and a protein skimmer. We were just looking for something better than the the mechanical filter. I also have about 55 pounds of live rock and plan on buying some more tonight.

maeistero

the more lr the better. i use about 120lbs in my 55. cure it in another tub or tank before using it though. lr really needs to be treated like fish in a quarantine tank. it will probably spike your levels and who knows, you might get a pistol or mantis. i only use the cannisters when my water needs carbon cleaning every other month or so. they harbor some junk because of the dark enclosure so they need to be cleaned before use. all filtration media will need to be changed also which costs a heckuva lot after 6months. on the other hand they will crystal your tank water in a day.

drewdog82

I have had a fluval 404 and an eheim 2215. I prefer the eheim because it runs much quieter, is easier to change, and the media for the eheim is much, much cheaper...

maeistero

Originally Posted by drewdog82
I have had a fluval 404 and an eheim 2215. I prefer the eheim because it runs much quieter, is easier to change, and the media for the eheim is much, much cheaper...
really?! i can't hear my fluvals at all. at first i put it together wrong and it was about as loud as a whisper hob. i can't hear it now unless i open the doors working under the stand. you might try refitting all the parts and oil up your rubber gaskets.
i have had an eheim and it worked great also, just too small of one for me now.

drewdog82

That might have been it, but the main reason I prefer the eheim is the price of the filter media... The fluval media was much more

agent707

My Fluval 404 is quiet as a whisper. And fairly easy to clean / change media... Not a bad $100 spent if you ask me.

rkmcinvale

Thank you everyone for the comments. We have decided to go with more live rock, new mechanical filter (ours is about a year old) and some crabs, and snails.
Also looking for some type of fish that we can add with our Yellow Tang, Regal Tang (already know I need to get rid of her just waiting for this weekend till I can take her to a better LFS) and Maroon Clown and a yellow damsel, had a mandarin but sadly my saddleback anemone ate him last night while everyone was sleeping. Any suggestions?

bunnyl99

I have an XP3 on my 125 gal from American Pharmacuticles. I like it alot. Very low maintenance. I clean it every 3-4 mos