New canopy: Fan question

fishy7

I have 4 fans in my new canopy. Which way do the need to pint?

I am thinking the 2 outer fans push air in and the inner pull air out.
Any suggestions?

jakebtc

you do want them 50/50 but if you put them in a I I O O configuration
rather then the I O I O I believe you will get more air movement from them rather than them countering each other to a certain degree

phixer

Ideally you want to draw the heat out and cool the fixture by providing continous circulation across the lights similar to the way the electric fan on your radiator pulls air through the back. If there is a vent having all of your fans sucking will accomplish this efficiently. Forcing air in will not cool it down as efficiently unless the hot air has somewhere to escape too. So if two fans are pushing air and there is no ventiliation the circulation will be limited to the capacity of the fans pulling it out. Combined with the heat from your water it will merely create a larger volume of hot air.
I would recommend installing intake vents and using all fans to suck the hot air out.
Best regards

fishy7

Originally Posted by jakebtc
these are on the top of your canopy?

These are on the inside.
Thanks guys for you responses.

jamie814

Why are you making it so one fan pulls air in and another pulls air out :notsure: Does your furnace have one fan sucking ar in and another blowing it out? or your car have a fan on both sides of the radiator?? no The best way to do it is to have the 4 fans blowing air into the canopy and having equal vent holes for the hot air to go out. Put the fans, 2 on each end blowing air in across the lights and vents above each halide bulb for the heat to go out heat rises so putting the out on the top of the hood will push the heat up and away from the waters surface. There is no need to have one fan in and one fan out. The fans will also last longer not having the hot exhaust air going through them.
Also why are you putitng 4 fans in there? 2 would be sufficient.

drizcol

jamie814 said:
Does your furnace have one fan sucking air in and another blowing it out? Just so you know it does. its called a cold air return.
My question is why are the fans on the top of the Canopy? dont you have reflectors in the way?

jakebtc

was wondering... the dust will be a problem with any fan but with these on the top you definitely need to keep and eye on them or put filters on the inputs
most people keep them on the ends or the back

creative

In the many canopies I have built and sold the ones with fans on the top are to suck the hot air out. The main reason this work so effectively is Heat Rises..... If you make two blow in and two blow out the path of least resistence will be from the fans flowing in straight to the fans blowing out. For this reason only it will not be very effective. I hope this helps you some.
Todd

jamie814

DRIZCOL said:
Originally Posted by jamie814
Does your furnace have one fan sucking air in and another blowing it out? Just so you know it does. its called a cold air return.
:notsure: where did you get that info from? The cold air retun on a funace is simply the duct work to the furnace from a return vent in the house. It is not a fan. Furnaces have one blower to move the air through it. Don't beleve me go look inside your furnace you will only find one fan.
Originally Posted by DRIZCOL

My question is why are the fans on the top of the Canopy? dont you have reflectors in the way?
well all retrofits that I know of have spacers in them so that the refector does not sit directly on the top of the hood usually there is a air space for this reason. That is why fans on the ends work the best the air is blowing into the hood around the light and out the top pushing the heat away from the tank and light fixture. Also you get more cooling with a fan blowing ON something rather than sucking air away from it. I have yet to see a person with a fan sucking air away from them as appossed to on them when they are trying to cool down

jakebtc

fans should be on the top most portion of any side of the canopy "not the top" of the canopy
heat does rise and bearing grease falls do some research :)

phixer

Blowing in pushing out, either way as long as you produce a good cross flow of air, I prefer to draw the hot air out with the fans and use vents as the intakes. Some folks want to blow ambient air in. Something I forgot to mention is that your fans should be on a vertical plane, i.e sides or back to prevent less accumulation of dust. I cant tell from the photos if you have drilled holes for these fans or not but I would recommend placing 2 on each end as pullers and louvered intake vents facing down along the back of the canopy.

ucdpike2001

If you have your fans blowing the air in, they will last longer. The out air will be less humid thus increasing your fans lifespan.

jovial

Interesting, but if they blow the air in then they will fill with dust from the outside, if they suck the air out then they collect salt from the inside neither of which should matter if their insulated.

jamie814

Originally Posted by Jovial
Interesting, but if they blow the air in then they will fill with dust from the outside, if they suck the air out then they collect salt from the inside neither of which should matter if their insulated.
Insulated :notsure: do you mean filterd. Weather they are blowing air in or out they still will collect dust. Filters don't collect everything. And to an eairlier post saying not to put them in the top becasue grease will fall from the bearings in them? I sure hope that you are using sealed fans in your hood. And not ones with grease fitings on them.