new canopy store bought 150 bucks

trillyen

ok first and foremost i just got away for paying 150 bucks for 1240 eatts of lighting for my reerf tank
2 400 watt mogul halides, and 4 vhos, 2 moonlights and 2 smart fans
my only dilemma is its a 36 in canopy, and i need to put it over a 48 in 75 gallon id like to go with the same design canopy you see in the video, but i am open for suggestions.
also odviously the canopy didnt come with ballasts, and i was wondering is it completley necessarey to have a ballast box with an on and off switch or to just have the bare ballast plugged into a timer??
i know witch one is better, but i guess my questrion is are they both safe??

cgrant

You could always do like a pendant style canapy...I just like pendants!
I have seen and read that some people do run the ballasts like you are saying and just mount them onto like a board but i would not if it was me!
Most ballast boxes including mine from outer orbit have heat sinks and fans so they cool the ballast while it is running, sure you can do it the other way if you really want but the ballast will last longer if you set it up in a ballast box correctly.
Heat is prob the biggest issue with electronics, the cooler they run the better!

trillyen

thanks man thats nice of you, i think i aqm going to go with a ballast box if it lasts longer thats less money
thanks again, for your time!!!

nigerian

Nice video.
I wish I could get a deal like that; I always get ripped. It seems like a good setup and I like how there are moonlights too. ps I like your other videos too lol.

myreef05

Originally Posted by seannmelly
i didnt see no bong or anything like that i must be blind
It's in the avatar and no it is NOT a bong. it is a "huka".

nigerian

Originally Posted by myreef05
It's in the avatar and no it is NOT a bong. it is a "huka".
Yep, it's a hookah, aka water pipe, hubbly bubbly lol. Called argeelay in arabic and I think shisha in Persian? You smoke flavored tobacco from it. My favorite flavor is lemon grape.

nigerian

Originally Posted by trillyen
hey nigerian how did you see my other video??
what size tank you got, and what you got in it???
When I clicked on your video that you posted, your photobucket page opened up and I took a look at your album. It looks like you have a whole bunch of projects goin on. Is that your girl in that video? She's cute.
I have a 75 gal reef. I've had it running for almost 4 months and have been learning everything real quick with the help these wonderful people on this forum. It has a store bought stand and I left the tops open w/ coralife 260w PCs. I also rigged moonlights to it. I just got a bunch of zoos, I also have a sabae anemone, ~75lbs live rock, niger trigger, flame angel, 2 false perc clowns, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, hectors goby, emerald crabs, buch of snails. I did have a valentini, but the little guy died a few weeks ago. Cause of death: unknown.
Future stocklist:
I want a fuzzy dwarf lion, starfish, sixline wrasse, yellow tang? foxface. I'm not going to get all of those fish, but that's what I'm thinking. I want to get some mushroom corals and more anemones. I wish I could keep clams!
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

trillyen

hey nigerian you seem cool im gonna add you as a friend!!
no thats not my gurl just a clip i foind on piranha-fury.com!!
some pics would be awesome i cant wait
oh my god you have a niger trigger with percs???
do they get picked on or do they have a lta to protect them???
you may wanna watch that!!!

nigerian

My sister borrowed my digital camera so I had to use my phone. Sorry for the horrible pic.
All of my fish live very peaceful with one another. Unfortunately, my percs didn't host. My niger is more schidish than any of them. He's a lil chicken.

trillyen

cool do you have like a sump or fuge or any thing???
where you from???
tank looks nice
what kind of lighting do you have??

nigerian

Originally Posted by trillyen
cool do you have like a sump or fuge or any thing???
where you from???
tank looks nice
what kind of lighting do you have??
Believe it or not, I'm only running a fluval 405 canister filter. But I'm looking into buying a HOB protein skimmer like AquaC Remora. My water quality is actually pretty good right now with only the fluval.
I'm from the suburbs of Detroit, MI.
I'm running 260w coralife PCs. I wish I had halides, I love the shimmering effect they make.

trillyen

yeah the shimmer effect is a nice conversation piece, but its kinda like going from regular tv to plasm or should i say hdtv, its a lot more unnless you come by great deals i get!!!
um you may wanna watch running canister filters some times they can turn into nitrate factories!!
i hope it dosent for you though man just be careful!!!