New Career plan

pwnag3!!

Ok.... So i was working in the bar on a slow saturday and thinking to myself about what i might want to do in life (since im still unsure) A teacher i aided for in HS came in and ate lunch with his family. I remembered all the good times i had in high school and all the teachers that made going to class worthwhile. I then realized that teaching might be a good career oppurunity for me.
This guy was a history teacher so i started asking him what you need to do to become a teacher. Well obviously i would have to get a degree in history and an education certificate as well.
I wasnt sure what kind of teaching i would like to do yet. Im leaning toward College with a doctorate but i also enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the high school environment.
I know getting a doctorate would take alot of work but i do enjoy history.
Anyone teach on the college level?

nw2sltfsh

Both my brother and sister in law are professors
they put in alot of work to get where they are but both enjoy it and feel that the years of school and hard work it took to get them there.
My brother teaches Archiology (sp?) and sister in law teaches advanced Spanish language studies.
Good luck in whatever you chose - there is nothing like a teacher that wants to teach and enjoys it
FYI -
Another one of my brothers just went back to college for elementary education because he decided that he wanted to become a teacher also - he is 36 and is in his first year so it is never too late!!!

ophiura

I've taught at the college level while working on my grad degree...IMO, it is not worth the hassle for the doctorate just to teach at a university. Lots of politics. Either get your degree and teaching certificate, or get a Master's and teach at a Junior college or something. But just because you have the doctorate, does not mean you will get a teaching job at a university, I am afraid.