New Carnation Anemone hosting my black and white clown :)

jfarris

We just got this little anemone, called a carnation anemone on Monday. Last night my clown decided to make a home out of it. They look happy together.

ophiura

Definitely great to see them snuggle down!!

But a word of caution. IMO that anemone may be dyed yellow. Perhaps a dyed sebae anemone though I am not sure. Just the coloration looks odd and dyed anemones are not uncommon. This could result in problems down the road.

jfarris

Here is another picture. I've heard that they are rare, but are not dyed sebae's. I don't know what to think, but I never would have bought it if I had known it was a dyed anemone. I didn't even know they could do that. I posted on RAG (reef aquarium guide) and the feedback was that it was indeed a rare carnation anemone. Here is another picture.

ophiura

I'll definitely admit I am not a pro with ID of anemones and seeing the column is red might definitely mean it is really that color. That helps. But in reading I just learned that dyed corals may still have the two colors :notsure: But unfortunately yes, there are dyed anemones
and commonly they are bright yellow. Just something seems too odd about those tentacles to me.

T

thomas712

At this point I'm not sure what it is myself, however that stark bright yellow is NOT normal. I also would suspect a dyed anemone. They do sell what are called yellow anemones, however they are fainter than that yellow. I have never heard of a carnaition anemone. Once these so called yellow anemones are under proper lighting they regain the normal tan/brown coloration of the zooxanthellae.
Heteractis Malu, Macrodactyla doreensis, Heteractis aurora and H. crispa also live burrowed into sediment. The columns of all four species may have red or yellow blotches; that of H. crispa is much firmer than that of H. malu (which is similar to that of H. aurora). In contrast to animals of the other three species, H. malu has relatively short tentacles, typically of variable length; tentacles of the other two species of Heteractis may also be magenta-tipped. Tentacles of H. crispa may contract in the absence of a fish, but H. malu has fewer tentacles per radial row; tentacles of H. aurora may be similarly sparse, but have swellings at intervals.
The normal zooxanthellae tends to be tan/brown in anemones, this one does not look normal.
Thomas

jfarris

Well it's all new to me. I will keep you posted on how it goes, if you are interested. I certainly am not claiming to be experienced. So far, it's doing wonderful. And we absolutely have the proper lighting. I realize these things have rather slow "metabolisms" and that it may take a while for it to turn brown, if it's indeed dyed. I did not buy it thinking that it was dyed.
Thank you for your advice.

viper_930

I used to have a sebae with the same coloration as yours. The tentacles on mine stayed the same color, but the foot turned out to be dyed. The natural color was yellow. I lost the anemone in a power outage a couple months back though.
JME

jfarris

How long would it take before the anemone turns back to it's original color if it is dyed?
This anemone is still looking great and eating well, it seems very happy. It has not changed colors. I asked the lfs owner what his supplier said about them, and he assured him that they were not dyed.

L

lbaskball

Can you post more updated pictures? I'd love to see more close up ones.

jfarris

Yes, I will try but my camera focuses on the glass of the aquarium and not the objects in it, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get a good picture. I am so amazed by some of the ones these guys on the forums can get. I'll try tonight, so check back with me :)
The color hasn't faded in my opinion. It's happily attached and eating well.

old thread i was looking for pictures there are a few at my lfs i was wondering if i should or not... they are about only 2-3" i think for about 40 bucks geez i just want something different thats not fake!!!!!