new Carpet anemone pics

brandond20

I don't have one, or even have a tank yet, but from what I have read you should feed it a little brine shrimp every once in a while, I think like once or twice a week maybe.
Looks really awesome.

oceanists

You should feed it a Silver side 2 times a week ....... it will gobble it right up . do you have Strong lighting?

drewsta

Just make sure you don't have or are not planning on getting any perching fish (ex. Hawkfish, blennies,gobies) They will be toast

ricks280

nice carpet sand,
2 times a week i use to feed mine squid, mussels, prawns (shrimps) fish flesh they will eat anything! they require plenty of light , the sad part is that live fish its in their menu i lost lots of them to it when i had a 55 gal. they get huge . i didnt want to put it in the bigger tank so i gave it away. make sure that is well away from your pump and power head pick ups.
(rick)

dejaco

Krill, squid, possibly silversides (mine only took silversides once in awhile).
Tongs or feeding stick required, do not force towards central oral disc.
Wiggle piece of food along outer portion and it will "fold" or enclose on it like
a venus flytrap. Give it time as it is a slow process. And many shrimps and other fish will try to steal the food away. One carpet I had ate a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp trying to steal a meal. Feeding every other day seems a good way to keep it healthy. If you want growth feed it daily. When it gets to the size you want cut back to every other day. You can feed it feeder goldfish and reguardless of what others tell you it will relish them.
The stinging and enclosing happen more rapidly and more intensly with live prey.
Small feeders are in exspensive and if you have a clown or two residing in the anemone
they will learn to actually push the prey into the anemone should you accidently loose it in the aquarium. I have had this happen and it is comical. Good luck and I hope you do okay with your lighting. I just currently upped my lighting to 2 - 250 MH and 2 - 160 VHO
so I could put anemone's back in my 210 gal tank. By the way not sure but your carpet looks to be either a Mertensii or Hadonni. Let me know cuase S. Hadonni are supposed to attach into a deep sand bed and S. Mertensii are supposed to attach to rock work. It looks healthy and thriving in your pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Great tank!

oceanists

Thanks for the info , this is probably why it always spits it out half devoured, I am going to try Squidd and krill

S

sand125

thank.guys for all the help...right now its on a rockand doing good its open up /full of coloer i hope my clonws will host it

S

sand125

Originally Posted by DeJaCo
Krill, squid, possibly silversides (mine only took silversides once in awhile).
Tongs or feeding stick required, do not force towards central oral disc.
Wiggle piece of food along outer portion and it will "fold" or enclose on it like
a venus flytrap. Give it time as it is a slow process. And many shrimps and other fish will try to steal the food away. One carpet I had ate a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp trying to steal a meal. Feeding every other day seems a good way to keep it healthy. If you want growth feed it daily. When it gets to the size you want cut back to every other day. You can feed it feeder goldfish and reguardless of what others tell you it will relish them.
The stinging and enclosing happen more rapidly and more intensly with live prey.
Small feeders are in exspensive and if you have a clown or two residing in the anemone
they will learn to actually push the prey into the anemone should you accidently loose it in the aquarium. I have had this happen and it is comical. Good luck and I hope you do okay with your lighting. I just currently upped my lighting to 2 - 250 MH and 2 - 160 VHO
so I could put anemone's back in my 210 gal tank. By the way not sure but your carpet looks to be either a Mertensii or Hadonni. Let me know cuase S. Hadonni are supposed to attach into a deep sand bed and S. Mertensii are supposed to attach to rock work. It looks healthy and thriving in your pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Great tank!

how can you tell what kind of a carpet anemone it is

dejaco

Carpet or Saddle Anemones are Stichodactyla (S.),
Mertensii - Merten's Carpet usually electric green in appearance, smaller dense tentacles,
"stickier" feel to the touch, usually attaches to rock work.
Haddoni - Haddon's Anemone - more color morphs (usually more of a mottled than solid
color appearance), shorter thicker spaced tentacles, usually attaches in a sand
bed.
How do I know. Research all marine aquarium titles published since 2000. Buy them, read them, and study them. Also on anemone's one of the best out there is on Clownfish by Mary (somrthing) - sorry have loaned out book and can't remember authors name.
The friend of mine that got me hooked on salt is into anemones and has had about 5 over the last 5 years, 2 of his origional ones are still alive and thriving. Anemones are best picked out in person, becuase you can observe them, see them attached, see them feed,
put a deposit down, then pick them up. Feed and lighting are not the only requirement either. Spotless stable tank parameters and "Ample" water movement really help. Since they are mostly sesile the water movement helps carry away waste materials. And a hosting clown or damsel really prks up the anemone. It is a mutualistic relationship in nature since both derive benefit.
Actually works on just anemones are scarce and written more like a college level text book. But almost every new title out there has at least a chapter dedicated to them.
Many believe they are best left in the ocean; All I will say is I lost my first two as I added them to a 4 month old system. September 27 this fall my reef will be 1 year old, only then will I attempt another in this system. Stable parameters and longevity of the sytem
before "hard" to keep specimens. Book knowledge is great, first hand experience better,
screwing up and wasting your own money "PRICELESS" (Lessons you won't forget)
Hope that helps

S

sand125

Originally Posted by DeJaCo
Carpet or Saddle Anemones are Stichodactyla (S.),
Mertensii - Merten's Carpet usually electric green in appearance, smaller dense tentacles,
"stickier" feel to the touch, usually attaches to rock work.
Haddoni - Haddon's Anemone - more color morphs (usually more of a mottled than solid
color appearance), shorter thicker spaced tentacles, usually attaches in a sand
bed.
How do I know. Research all marine aquarium titles published since 2000. Buy them, read them, and study them. Also on anemone's one of the best out there is on Clownfish by Mary (somrthing) - sorry have loaned out book and can't remember authors name.
The friend of mine that got me hooked on salt is into anemones and has had about 5 over the last 5 years, 2 of his origional ones are still alive and thriving. Anemones are best picked out in person, becuase you can observe them, see them attached, see them feed,
put a deposit down, then pick them up. Feed and lighting are not the only requirement either. Spotless stable tank parameters and "Ample" water movement really help. Since they are mostly sesile the water movement helps carry away waste materials. And a hosting clown or damsel really prks up the anemone. It is a mutualistic relationship in nature since both derive benefit.
Actually works on just anemones are scarce and written more like a college level text book. But almost every new title out there has at least a chapter dedicated to them.
Many believe they are best left in the ocean; All I will say is I lost my first two as I added them to a 4 month old system. September 27 this fall my reef will be 1 year old, only then will I attempt another in this system. Stable parameters and longevity of the sytem
before "hard" to keep specimens. Book knowledge is great, first hand experience better,
screwing up and wasting your own money "PRICELESS" (Lessons you won't forget)
Hope that helps

thank you that help alot.so i guess its a Mertensii /
Merten's

philgmiami

heres some pics of mine
.. ive haD it over a year...was half the size when i bought it...its about 12 inch round when fully opened :joy: .. i dont have to feed it myself, the clowns in pics feed it silversides for me ***)