Nitrate = 20
Nitrite = 0.25
kH = 322
Ammonia = 1.0
What the heck is going on?

slick

Your water levels are WAY out of wack.
First your ph needs to be around 8.3 not 7.8
Second your Amn nitrite and nitrate are to high. They all need to be at 0.
What kind of tank is this? What is your temp? Do you do water changes? What kind of filter do you have? Do you run a skimmer? We need to know these answers to better find the problem. Don't add anything to your tank till you get the water stable.

bang guy

You're not going to figure out what happened from those water parameters. They are the result of your reef crashing, they could have been normal before that.
Playing detective after the fact is difficult if not impossible. You'll have to try to remember everything you've done over the past week. Check how the heater is functioning, How do you topoff? What's the Salinity?
Sorry for your loss :(
Guy

holliek

Well, I'm giving up on this dumb 20 gal. setup and uprading to 100 gallons. It's too touchy, unstable and expensive!!
I think I changed too many things at once, trying to make corrections. I removed the UG filter (which raised Nitrates big time) and then I did a 50% water change, which through the cycle out of whack. I think now the tanks starting a new cycle and will be yuck for a while now. With the damsel still in there, it'll probably finish it's cycle, but take a while - so it's staying as is with no new additions.
Plus, I'm reading the Conscientious Marine Aquarist :D

azrile

There is a reason they call it 'crashing'
Usually when you change something drastically, it may kill one thing, but leave the rest of the stuff hanging on, but then the thing that dies begins to degrade and release ammonia, which pretty much seals the deal on the stuff that was barely surviving. The more stuff that dies, the worse the snowball gets.

jim672

John Franklin,
I wonder what Fenner would say about keeping 4 large tangs along with 3 other large, aggressive fish( lion, puffer, trigger) and a queen angel that can grow to be 12" long all in a 135 gallon tank with a UGF??
Wow. I know you've had this going for a year..... I wish you luck in the future if you don't move a number of those fish out.
Jim

holliek

And I thought I had a lot in my tank :)
Books going very well, learning lots and lots. Once I start buying things, I'll take pictures :) Looks like it'll be a couple of months...

fshhub

wow, Jim said it. Although we seem to have only 45" of fish, it is a bit off. Fenner, as many experts will reccomend that you figure the Adult size of the fish(in sw they do NOT grow to fit your tank, only) now, I count 44" in 3 of those fish alone. Please do some more research and work to accomidate those fishes.
NOw for the Q at hand, I cant say anything Bang Guy has not said, except that the PH level definitely did not help> and I am glad to hear about your going to a larger tank, it will be easier , AS well I am even more pleased to hear that you are not giving up, but moving on and learning.
GOOD LUCK and give us some pics along the ways, WE DO LOVE THEM.

holliek

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm 1/2 way through the book already and getting lots of ideas and learning a lot. I'll keep everyone posted! The only bad thing is that I have this small cycling tank with 1 damsel in it and one very small piece of coral. Not too much fun to look at! :p

wamp

I'm going to step in here for John. Although he does have alot of fish, His tank has been stable for quite a while now. His fish are all healthy and happy. (you can see them smile)
I would not advise it, but it is working very well in his tank...

holliek

:mad:
I tested my water again tonight, I think it's been about a week since everyone died. Here are the results. Anyone have an idea what I should do?
Temp: 78
pH = 7.8
kH = 322.2
Nitrite = 2.0
Ammonia = 2.0
Nitrates = 40
Salinity = 1.022
Do the Nitrites & Ammonia values spike like that during a cycle? Should I just leave the tank alone to see what happens, or should I add something to it? I only have 1 damsel & a small piece of coral in the tank now.
I know I'll be upgrading to a bigger tank, but that probably wont happen until December ish and I don't want a sess pool in my living room in the mean time :p

wamp

Your tank is definetly trying to cycle...
You need to give it time to adjust to the levels that it is at now.
I would:
Do a small water change. And continue to monitor the water quality. Go slow when adding another inhabitant to the tank. Once you add one, wait a long while before another. Add some Live rock. That will help with your filtration. A 20gal canot hold much in the way of a Bio-Load so there is no such thing as overfiltration on that tank.
Be patient... It will come togther nicely.

holliek

OK ... I'm glad that its doing something that it's supposed to do!
I'll try a very small water change and keep you posted.
Thank you!

surfnturf

Hooliek,
just one thing to add, kind of a tangent, but the "cheapo" heater you have, I would ditch it and get a good submersible made for saltwater. It is not a fun surprise to reach into a SW tank and become part of a 120VAC circuit;)

holliek

I see your point! If I buy a less "cheapo" heater, will I be able to transfer it into my new setup (that's in dreamland now) or is heater size proportional to tank size?