New chili coral.

maurice

Just got a good pic of my new chili coral and figured i would share.For some of you guys that have one,does he look ok?This is the second day in my time seeing him opened so i was kinda excited.
I just happened to be standing there when the lights come on to get a good pic.

wax32

Neat looking... what is the scientific name of that coral so I can look more info about it?

maurice

Originally Posted by wax32
Neat looking... what is the scientific name of that coral so I can look more info about it?
Alcyonium species,hope this helps.

texasjenn

I've got one of those, and he doesn't look so good anymore. I've had him for about 1 year, and he has never seemed to "bloom". I have had trouble finding much info about them, all I know is that they are difficult to keep. If anyone knows a lot about them, would you please share what you know? I'd like to get him in shape. Thanks in advance!

maurice

All i hear and find out is they like less light and they prefer to be on the substrate of the tank.They are nocturnal,so it is only open like this when the lights are off.I just caught it when the lights came on to get this pic!That is about all i have found out about them,other than they look really good.

nickyblase

It's a Chili Coral, and I have one as well. From what I understand, they need to be spot fed quite frequently sinced they're not photosynthetic, and also that they grow upside down in the wild. I knew about the feeding requirements, but just found out that they should be hung upside down, so I'm going to the LFS today to get some more epoxy...
If anyone else has any tips for making this coral last, please chime in!

msd2

Originally Posted by TexasJenn
I've got one of those, and he doesn't look so good anymore. I've had him for about 1 year, and he has never seemed to "bloom". I have had trouble finding much info about them, all I know is that they are difficult to keep. If anyone knows a lot about them, would you please share what you know? I'd like to get him in shape. Thanks in advance!

This is one of those corals that are better left in the wild, sorry to say. If you have kept him a year your doing better than most. A search should give you lots of info on it, but off the top what limited knowledge I have of this coral is that indeed it does not like lots of light, prefers to be in shade, and requires frequent feedings. Its unfortunate they are so hard to keep in most reef tanks because they are stunning.

wanabebell

chili corals are easy to keep i have one and hes doing great
to makes sure they live all you have to do is feed your corals ev erday when the coral is open like in the pic feed him DT's live food and thats all you need
Mine likes to be on the LR better than sand
but hes on at 15 % form the bottom

smarls

Wanabe
How long you had him for? The thing with these corals, and with other similar corals (carnation corals, many non-photsynthetic gorgs, etc.) is that they look OK, but in reality they are slowly starvng to death.
I am no expert on these, but in my limited knowledge, the problem is three fold:
(i) they can only accept food of a certain particle size. Some people say rotifiers work well, as do Golden Pearls, but I think the particle size depends on the exact species;
(ii) they can only accept the right size particles IF the particles are moving at the right speed. Yes, the flow needs to be correct to encourage the coral to accept the particle, somewhere bewteen 8-14 cms per second (rough guess), in a rnaqdom flow patern;
(iii) they need to eat all the time. Basically in the wld they are constantly filtering for the right food that is coming by at the right speed. This is very hard to replicate in a home set-up as you would need to constantly feed, and this would at some point have a bad effect on your water parameters.
I agree, they are best left in the ocean, or else you almost need to tailor your tank for this kind of coral to work.
Ironically though, the best results seem to occur in simple 'dirty" set-ups (no fuge, not too much filtering, etc.) which are often found in more beginner set-ups...the reason being that there is far more biological matter floating around in the water column than in an expert type SPS set-up.
I would never call this coral "easy" to keep...it may seem "easy" to keep until it starves, and one day no longer opens and falls apart.
The test in coral success should be in having the coral display significant growth and survive for a decent period of time (year minimum).
That said, good luck with it.
HTH
Stewart