New Chromis?

p-tree

Hi, I have a 46 gal. tank with a royal gramma, 2 percs., a coral beauty, and one blue-green chromis(named Oscar). Well my tank is pretty well stocked but Oscar (you can ask anyone in my family about this) is lonely and shy. I was thinking of getting him some friends. I know it would be over-stocking but should I get Oscar some friends(2 other chromis). Thanks!:happyfish

dory36

My lfs told me that chromis are not a huge bio-load on your tank. I have 7 and they said that was equivalent to about 3-4 regular fish.
I've read that chromis by themselves will go into decline in a tank and do much better in uneven groups like 3 or 5. I'd say it'd be okay to add two more.

p-tree

Yeah, he's in a decline. It's nice to know that they're not a big bioload. Do you think he will reject or attack them? Thanks!:happyfish

dory36

I don't think so. We bought 5 at first and liked them so much that we got 2 more. We had no problems at all. Mine school and swim from one side of the tank to the other all day long. Here's a picture of our 5 before we added the others.

cbort

the only thing i didn't like about them is that if you have a shy eater, the chromis may force them to starve. I had 2 and they eat like pigs.