New Clown Won't eat

dalerich

I just got a new Clown. The water in the tank is perfect. The salt level is perfect. The temperature in the tank is perfect. My clown is new to me got it 24 hours ago. The clown will not eat anything I tried and like a new mother i'm worried. The clown is alone in the tank with only a fire red shrimp and an Anenome that it swims around but does not enter. The clown is tank raise and just a baby so I'm not worried that it did not take to the anenome. It's get closer and does not swim as far after being stung. The anenome eats silver fish, the shrimp eats anything. But the clown does not eat:
Bloodworms
Baby brine shrimp
Adult brine shrimp
ground flake food
Ground pellets
anything else I should try or when should I be worried?
Please let me know. Thanks

tony detroit

Is the tank cycled?
You don't have any ammonia, or nitrite readings do you?
It could be because he's still so new.

dory36

Our clownfish did the same thing when we brought it home. I think it took about 3 days before it finally would eat. Yours is probably a little freaked out and trying to get used to the new surroundings. Our gramma also wouldn't eat when we put it in the tank. I think it took him almost a week! Good luck...I'm sure everything will be fine.

cowfishrule

i had the same situation with a stubborn-ass coral beauty...
wouldn't eat for almost a week, then was grazing on algae on the rocks for about a week (coral beauts dont eat algae), then all of a sudden, started eating whatever was dropped in the tank...

dalerich

Tank is fully cycled. Start Date was Thanksgiving Day.
The Level peaked and hit zero. The last level nitrate is 20 ppm after the water change. The water chage was 20% of 55 gallons. I should have done 25% and I will next time. I just thought instead of waiting a month I would change it in about 3 weeks depending on the levels.
How long does it normally take a tank raised clown to take to an anenome?
How often do you feed an anenome?
Thanks I feel better about my new clowns eating habits for the next three days to a week.

blemmy_guy

What type of clown do you have? Some clowns take to anenomies faster than others. Sometimes they wont take to them at all. I have a Maroon clown that didnt take to either of my long tenticle aneomies, so i bougt a white carpet 3 days ago hopeing it will take to it, but my cinaman clown ( looks like a tomato but darker) took to one of the long teticles about a day after i got the clown. And i feed my anenomies about once or twice a week, if they have a clown he will also feed it sometimes. Good luck Todd

dalerich

I have a percula Clown (tank raised). The LFS guy said that the clowns that he has been getting in from the ocean have all had a problem with a green growth or sores. He will only get in tank raise clowns for now he said. My LFS guy knows his stuff and is not out to make the big sale. I so far trust him because what he tells me about my tank is the same things I read on these message boards. My clown just hovers over the anenome like he is ready to goto work but forgot is time card and does not know what to do. Thanks.

bigarn

Originally posted by steveoutla
That sounds way too soon for an anemone.........maybe even too soon for a fish!

Agreed.... But since he's already in there, try feeding him mysis shrimp. I'm NOT bashing, but good luck with the anemone.... WAY to early to have one. :D

dalerich

Clown started eating now. Must be in shock to have 55 gallons to swim in instead of 30 gallons with 24 close friends at the LFS.
How does the LFS get away with not following the 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of tank water rule?
Do I have the rule wrong?
What does a well established tank have that a fresh full cycle tank does not? Why is it to soon for an anenome?
I'm not saying your wrong but need to be educated on this because I must have missed something. Please explain.
on another note the live sand said no need to cycle your water just add fish. This I know is BS but it did cut down my planned cycle time of 6-8 weeks to about a good month or 4 weeks. The tank was cycled old school (before I found this site) with 60 pounds of crush coral undergravel filters and 6 black mollies. Mid cycle it changed to 60 pounds of live sand and a protein skimmer and 12-14 pounds of live rock. I learned the hard way.