New Clownfish

binhzino

I just purchased a new tank raised clownfish and an anemone today. How long does it take for the clownfish to start settling in with the anemone??? The clownfish seems to be swimming by the surface next to the protein skimmer all day....whats going on??

pontius

as far as I know, there is no clownfish that will take to a condi anemone.
I still don't know what kind of clown you have, but I don't think it would matter in this case. I've had 2 false perc clowns for 8 months and a condi for 6 months. the clowns have never gone within a foot of the anemone.
even if you had a host anemone, tank raised clowns are not as prone to host one, though it's not out of the question. usually clowns host anemones (or corals) for protection. some argue that tank raised fish don't know instinctively that they need protection, as least not enough protection that an anemone can provide. some argue otherwise.

jobob

they're probly perc's and they're hard to host to any anemone. mine took to a toadstool. try a sebae or bubble tip. long ten. will take also. sebae clowns are the easiest to host. if u get a lt or bt,sebae anemone it will take a couple days for percs to host.

snipe

I have heard the condi thing as well. And buying a fish or anything without knowing what type it is is not to bright either. I know it dont usally happen but I have seen pics of clowns hosting a condi. You need to search for a thread that tells you what clowns will host what anemone. That should help you out alot.